pensacola vs tift9

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
Im one of those rare people that actually like Bahia.I dont get stomach ulsers during a drought like we are having right now.Grass still looks good.Anyway, I just cleared another 5 acres and was thinking of trying some Tift 9 instead of regular Pensacola.I was wandering if any of yall have had a good side by side comparison.If the forage quality is that much better I dont mind paying more for the seed.Does it come up as good and is it as drought tolerant.I have seen all the claims on paper but Id rather here from some of yalls real world expieriences not some controlled expieriment station.Thanks in advance J.J. P.S. I will strictly graze this area not cut hay.

I am a Bahia fan also but mainly because that is all I have. :lol:

I recently read an article somewhere that stated tift9 is over rated and over priced. The article said there isn't a dime's worth of diff. I think it was in the Progressive Farmer.

Then on the other hand I just paid $150/50 pounds for Bahia seed and was told it was going to $170.

I am heading to GA in August. Can anyone tell me if I can find Bahia seed cheaper up there?

thanks for the info I hadnt seen that article.The prices are about the same up here from what Ive seen.Seedland has it for135/50# bag.But your prbably lookin at 40 /50 bucks shippin.I got plenty of seed heads if I had about a week of nothin to do,I could probably pull 50 pounds off them :D Guess I better buy some.Anybody got pesonal expierience with Tift 9 before I make up my mind to go w/ good ole regular Pensacola.

Do you plan to overseed or plant the seed? I just overseeded this year. I thought I had lost it due to the drought but we got a couple good rains about two weeks ago and it must have taken because it took off. Of course we haven't gotten any rain since. :mad:

This piece of land just had trees cut off it so its just dirt and a few shade trees i left.I need to get a soil sample ,probably needs lime.Then i will just broadcast the seed and lightly harrow it in or I might try to make a roller to just roll it in.

flaboy-":16yivzcq said:
I am a Bahia fan also but mainly because that is all I have. :lol:

I recently read an article somewhere that stated tift9 is over rated and over priced. The article said there isn't a dime's worth of diff. I think it was in the Progressive Farmer.

Then on the other hand I just paid $150/50 pounds for Bahia seed and was told it was going to $170.

I am heading to GA in August. Can anyone tell me if I can find Bahia seed cheaper up there?

I paid 135 per bag here this spring.

jj- I planted Tif-9 last fall in a one acre pasture as a test. I don't have all the "right" equipment so I....sprayed to field with round-up to kill everything...mostly weeds. I waited about 10 days and sprayed again. I then disc'd the field. Spread fertilizer iaw with my soil sample results then I dragged the field with my tire drag to level as best possible. Then I hand broadcast the seed with my hand crank spreader. I put down about 20-25lbs of Tif-9 seed. Once the seed was down, I dragged the field again. At first I thought I failed miserably but this spring the grass came up nicely. I kept the cows off until it headed out...I cut the heads to spread more seed. It has turned into a very nice pasture....this all dispite a bad drought that we are currently living through. Soooo...I'm a big fan of Tif-9. Hope this helps...good luck. cheers, Bill

Mr. Elliott,First off,I heard you might come back to racing full time next year.Just kiddin.I appreciate the info.Where did you buy the seed and how much.I know it can be hard to find.Im only about 20 minutes from Alabama.Guess itd be east central near Valley or Lanette. Thanks Again J.J.

jj....I have not been able to find any Tif-9 this year. I bought mine at the local CoOp. I'm still looking. We are located in extreme SE Alabama. Even Seedland is sold out. Good luck finding some. Cheers, Bill

Latest posts