Pennsylvania welfare system.

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I hired a 24 year old woman for part time help this summer at the hotel. She was living on welfare prior to her taking the job I offered her. I pay her $10.00 an hour, she gets about another $5.00 per hour in tips from the guests. She informed me that she is quitting her job at the end of this month because welfare is cutting her "benefits". She is getting $15.00 an hour and I still isn't as much as welfare (of course I am sure she is only claiming the $10.00 an hour I am paying her). So anyhow, I hired a 65 year old lady for $12.50 an hour (plus her $5.00 an hour or so tips). I plan to call welfare when the 24 year old quits and ask how she can quit a decent job (for our area) and live off the public dole?

I might be able to save you a call. Your understanding of the situation is all contorted and needs a little adjusting.

I'll give you an illustration.

There was a kid here that was working at a fast food joint while in high school. The government benefits gentleman notified the kid, that if he would quit his job, his parents would get more assistance. In addition, the kid would get living assistance when he graduated.

The moral- they likely know and helped her weigh her options.

millstreaminn":3da44ppt said:
I plan to call welfare when the 24 year old quits and ask how she can quit a decent job (for our area) and live off the public dole?

very easily all shes gotta say if she has kids is to take care of her kids and thats the end of that.

Edit: I would also like to add that is pretty bad and stinks but atleast she did hold a job for some point in her life and paid into the program while many others generation after generation... NEVER WORK a day in their life.

Sure they did. They want it that way. If it costs $3 to give out a dollar in benefits who do you think gets to keep the difference? The more they spend the bigger and more powerful they become.

millstreaminn":182wwi3n said:
I hired a 24 year old woman for part time help this summer at the hotel. She was living on welfare prior to her taking the job I offered her. I pay her $10.00 an hour, she gets about another $5.00 per hour in tips from the guests. She informed me that she is quitting her job at the end of this month because welfare is cutting her "benefits". She is getting $15.00 an hour and I still isn't as much as welfare (of course I am sure she is only claiming the $10.00 an hour I am paying her). So anyhow, I hired a 65 year old lady for $12.50 an hour (plus her $5.00 an hour or so tips). I plan to call welfare when the 24 year old quits and ask how she can quit a decent job (for our area) and live off the public dole?

Did she get any benefits with that $10/hr? (health insurance, for example?) If not, there's the disconnect.
Public assistance in many states may include some cash assistance, some housing assistance, health care, food stamps...$10/hr (with no benefits or housing, eg) can't match that. She can't "afford" to work, the way the system is set up. Not saying it's right, but if that's the way things are set up by the private and public sectors, she is making a rational economic decision. The real problem is that the public benefits like health care, food stamps, maybe even a housing subsidy, often stop once the person begins to make much/any $, instead of being phased out. The other way to do it is to force welfare recipients to look for work or perform public service. In our state, they are supposed to but it doesn't really happen: they have so very little marketable skills, that any program that would try to get them to do work would need more $ than it's worth just to be run.

Latest posts