taxes and school system.

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
for a few years they have been trying to pass a levy here for more money. They just tried to pass a "INCOME LEVY" instead of a standard one.. that didn't work either. So... here they go again..

Now.. what.. do they need all this money for?

THEY ARE SUFFERING!! The kids are not getting what they NEED.

From a teachers mouth:

My FIRST GRADE student only have 4 Ipads, 2 desktops, and 2 laptops they must SHARE! OH MY!! Just THINK about it!!!!

"They have this program that really teaches them a lot."

Ok.. If the computer teaches so much.. and you can't.. WHY do we need the teachers? Why not just put a big ipad up on the chalkboard and let it teach? THIS is what its coming to.

Every student 3rd grade and up has an ipad given to them by the school. This is the case in ALL the school districts around here.

So the kids are at school.. all day on the ipad.. come home.. get on the iphone.. then back on the ipad to do homework.. then back on the iphone to text.. then it starts over again in the morning.

Am I the only one who thinks all this screen time is dangerous? Do we need to spend millions on these types of things???

Don't get me started about how much we pay in school taxes, the most on the tax bill. In a previous job I was in a lot of schools under construction and saw some of the fancy architecture. I go in them now on the service side and see some of these buildings and think what a waste. Not sure how some of this helps them learn more. My neighbor did a lot of masonry work on schools and complained about how much extra work some of the fancy stuff created.

I know kids need to learn but there are cost effective ways to do things and it seems sports get plenty of money at the school. I get tired of hearing teachers say how much they spend out of their pocket to do their job, I have spent ten's of thousands out of mine to do my job. Sorry to rant buy our local school really left me sour in the way our son got treated.

That is a very frustrating issue here too, lots of big new buildings, sure doesn't seem logical to me that good education comes as a result of consolidating usually good performing smaller schools into fewer much larger new school buildings. Heard that at the beginning of the school year, some children were on the buses at least 1 hour each way, not sure if that was worked out or not.
Several years ago, they proposed a higher tax, and the county voted it down. They complained about how the taxpayers were being selfish and not caring about education. They got their way, then it's been raised multiple times since I think.

we were asked to bid on a large High School very close to our steel fab shop. Of course we said yes but when we received the plans, they were only about 60% complete. They gave us a must start date and told us to bid what was on the plans and the rest would be negotiated. They wanted this all very hush hush so the town folks wouldn't know.

We bid and were awarded the job. As they completed the plans, lots of the steel had to be resized due to changes in design. The architects would see things on some of the big Dallas schools and incorporate this into the small town school. Well you can guess how that went and the costs ballooned. All of our extra work was done bu change order. All was documented and approved by the contractor and school board. By the time it was over, we had over 120 change orders ranging in costs fro a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. They paid us but let it known to everyone who asked about the cost over- runs that we took advantage of them and should be ashamed since it was for "our kids".

The Superintendent resigned shortly thereafter and the new one told me personally how the district hid the final costs so it wouldn't effect the current bond program. He was very upset that the district would approve a "Taj Mahol" high school while the older high school needed lots of upgrades.

So now half the kids in town think they go to an inferior school and parents do all kinds of maneuvering to get their kids in the new building. Meanwhile our company has a reputation of ripping off the district when in truth, the change orders were done with the same margin that is done on every project but no mention is ever made by the district about starting a project with drawings incomplete and their desire to have a building that compares with the richest districts in north Texas.

Ddd75 you're right. I barely know how to run a computer, just in the last week got my first smartphone and I can struggle along just fine.
What on earth do they expect those kids to do with all that computer knowledge.
Everyone knows technology is just a passing fad.
They want to teach them something, show them how to add a column of sums quickly, bet not a dam one of them know how plow with a horse, let alone harness it.
One iPad or computer per class should be plenty, they'll never need that crap anyway
This we can sure agree on, this day and age they don't have to have easy access to learn about that junk, never need it anyway in a couple years. Gs

Bird dog when they told me kids could not learn in old schools, I would simply reply "Harvard".

plumber_greg":20bm1ces said:
Ddd75 you're right. I barely know how to run a computer, just in the last week got my first smartphone and I can struggle along just fine.
They want to teach them something, show them how to add a column of sums quickly, bet not a dam one of them know how plow with a horse, let alone harness it.
One iPad or computer per class should be plenty, they'll never need that crap anyway
This we can sure agree on, this day and age they don't have to have easy access to learn about that junk, never need it anyway in a couple years. Gs

Every student in 1st grade should be issued a ipad?

You're agreeing with that? wow.

ddd75":1jj6g6dh said:
plumber_greg":1jj6g6dh said:

Every student in 1st grade should be issued a ipad?

You're agreeing with that? wow.

In the county where I live, at least in the "town", I have a friend that teaches 3rd grade, one day we got to talking about school and such. You don't want to know the waste that goes on there. Just one item I will talk about; in her class closet alone, there are enough laptops AND PC's for double the amount of kids in her class, yet they are not being used, because in order to keep the $$ they get, they buy new ones every year. :mad: So I asked about selling what's there in the closet, in order to pay for stuff in the classrooms that parents/teachers/etc. have to spit up the cash for, due to "not enough money" for the schools and classrooms? Nope, not allowed to do that, the school board has discussed it and decided it wouldn't be a good idea. :mad:

I'm done with this one, as I don't want to get this thread locked.

We're getting a new school built here. We need it but if business had been took care of it would have been stated 20 years ago and could have been done in stages. The million dollar concession stand / indoor practice area could have been done with out. I didn't think the bond issue would pass because it was done with out any community input, I shouldn't have been surprised they got a one cent county sales tax passed that has only suggestions on where it is spent.

Latest posts