Penning cattle with ATV's

Help Support CattleToday:

Up until this weekend I had a red heeler. She was great with cattle. Her mother was a great cattle dog as well. They just seemed to know what I needed done and did it. They also make great guarddogs. I have two kids that she would always get between them and a stranger. She would just sit there, watching over the kids. I never had a problem with unwanted salesman either. I said had. I carried her get and had her fixed, she died 4 days after surgury. I have had australian shepards also in the past they make good dogs also. I once had a boarder collie. The collie was good with the cattle but the shepherds and the heelers are better guard dogs. Female's make the best cattle dogs. I've tried males in the past. It seems they are more agressive with the calves.

Get yourself a good red or blue heeler, train him/her well and you'll get an excellant herder. I have a blue heeler that just gets behind them and brings them to wherever I want them to. I tell Sadie to " Bring em to the barn Sadie" and off she goes and it gets done. I also just have to honk them up with my truck and they come. They're so easy really that I just have to say "Come on cows" and shake a feed bag and they'll follow me. I must have it made compared to everybody else. After reading these posts, I feel fortunate.

Dick

preston....$$$$ ouch they can sure bang up a good truck just by scratching, and playing and getting into the sides sometimes

samm":y5rb3xy1 said:
preston....$$$$ ouch they can sure bang up a good truck just by scratching, and playing and getting into the sides sometimes

Now thats smart. Sounds like presto has more money than sense.

Bama":3nv9m6nz said:
Up until this weekend I had a red heeler. She was great with cattle. Her mother was a great cattle dog as well. They just seemed to know what I needed done and did it. They also make great guarddogs. I have two kids that she would always get between them and a stranger. She would just sit there, watching over the kids. I never had a problem with unwanted salesman either. I said had. I carried her get and had her fixed, she died 4 days after surgury. I have had australian shepards also in the past they make good dogs also. I once had a boarder collie. The collie was good with the cattle but the shepherds and the heelers are better guard dogs. Female's make the best cattle dogs. I've tried males in the past. It seems they are more agressive with the calves.
===============
bama,
sorry for your loss. :( I know how it is to loose a pet animal...almost like part of you is missing.

Campground Cattle":2ci6428w said:
samm":2ci6428w said:

Now thats smart. Sounds like presto has more money than sense.
===========

Campgroundcattle,

How's that?

the only cow here that knows what a feed sack is is the retired "Pet" cow. i check on the cows on a fourwheeler everyday unless its raining then i use a truck. our cows are used to the fourwheeler and still have no problems getting them moving with it. we use the same method Farmhand describes. running a single cow is hard on a fourwheeler b/c cows turn sharp and fourwheelers dont but it can still be done.

Bama":3uhbr7rz said:

Bama, I'm very sorry for your loss. A good dog is impossible to replace.

I have one pup left from her last litter. The only problem is it is 1/2 red heeler and 1/2 community effort. How does that work in a pedigree? I'll be getting another one. I just can't decide between a blue or red heeler. I have saw both come in really handy at times. They always sleep in the barn. I think this helps the stock get used to them and for the dogs to understand the daily routines of the cattle.

Bama, did she get an infection or something?

I only use a 4-wheeler to check the cows and carry the cube sack. I find it too cumbersome to gather the cows with, besides I don't have to do anything but holler for them and they come running.

I did make the mistake of chasing a calf with it once - never again - The little b-witch went through 3 fences and by the time I found her she was hauling-butt through a briar thicket and I had to bail off the darn 4-wheeler running full speed and tackle her. I was bleeding from every inch of exposed skin when I finally got her tied up. :x

No 4-wheelers for me. I use old electric golf carts stepped up to 48 volts so they're pretty fast. They will turn on a dime, better than a 4-wheeler, and a lot cheaper too.

I have two '83 models with box beds on the back and they cost me under $1000 each converted including the box. They were dead when I bought them for about $200 each. A local golf cart guy converted them for me.

The key to moving cows is this - nearly every day I go out with a bucket of cubes and check on the cows and toss them some cubes. They watch for the golf cart now and they spy me as soon as I come into view. They will get all over me and the cart if I let them, and they will follow it anywhere.

When it's time to move 'em or pen 'em, I use one golf cart and a caller as the lead cart, and another golf cart and a barker as the rear pusher. Newborn calves go in the box bed with their feet hog tied. Pickup truck stays in the shed burning no $2 gas, and no worries about 4-wheelers flipping over.
gabby

sidney it hurts coming off a 4 wheeler like that but ive had to jump from a pickup doing 30 to cut a cow back an turn not that eay to hitt the ground in a run let me tell you s o i know how you was hurting scott

I agree with a lot of the others too :)

I shake a feed sack and here they come. Then close the gate.

I do have a rope on the gunrack in my Pickup... but its for show :cboy:

I just bought one so I would feel like a real cowman. I think I need to put some dirt on it so that it looks like I have used it.

Bama":1o4inhys said:
The only time I use a 4 wheeler is to check on em. Everonce in a while I would WALK them to the barn with it. A good stock dog comes in handy at this time. Penning a wild one you can forget about it without a good dog. A calf can cut much shorter than a four wheeler.

I'm with Bama. Give me a good cow horse any day when moving bulls. I'd never use our atv moving bulls. We use ours to pull a trailer to feed with at home, so all of our livestock tend to come up when they see it. It makes me nervous to ride the atv in a pasture when the bulls are out, so I always take my stock dog with me when checking fence in the pasture. He hates bulls as he was run over by one when he was about 6 months old. He makes sure any bull stays at least 30 feet away from me. Our bulls are calm and easy to work, but I never trust a bull. Friends in Wyoming and South Dakota have each had a 4 wheeler wrecked by a bull.

When it comes time to move cows in the pasture, I prefer to use my horse. I sometimes move them on foot with my dog, as well. At home in the winter the cattle are corraled and mostly moved on foot, as they know where to go.

dun":1pwzbmeb said:
Plowboy_TX":1pwzbmeb said:
I do have a rope on the gunrack in my Pickup... but its for show :cboy:

Mine is there just for laughs

dun

Ha, years ago I used to rope off my horse when we were unable to catch one or two. I would drag them back. I got the bright idea to get me another rope to catch a couple of wild calves I just bought. I threw a few times and realized I was useless with it now. I keep it in the Jeep incase I need to pull something now. :oops:

With bulls I think size DOES matter. If I use a four wheeler the youg bulls will often turn to face me and lower their heads as if to say "You want me to move. MAKE ME!" If I'm on my favorite 14H cow pony they have never faced off to me, but wait until I'm within about 20ft before they become uncomfortable enough to move. If I'm on my big 16H Palamino they start moving away before I get within about 80ft.

Latest posts