Pennicillin availability?

Help Support CattleToday:

damengineer

Reaction score
Has anyone bought any Pennicillin lately. My vet told me last week they cannot get any because they don't orderbig enough quantities. The local coop said they have not had any for over a year. I found one bottle at Tractor Supply. All the vet supplys I have bought from say it is not available? I heard that it might get pulled because of it being too close to human use or some new regulation. It is time to hae a come to Jesus meeting with these politicians and their alphabet agencies. Fuel is $4/gal because of EPA. Freon for the A/C is $20 /lb because of EPA. Pennicillin is not available possibly due to FDA..... I say WTH??

Has anyone bought any Pennicillin lately. My vet told me last week they cannot get any because they don't orderbig enough quantities. The local coop said they have not had any for over a year. I found one bottle at Tractor Supply. All the vet supplys I have bought from say it is not available? I heard that it might get pulled because of it being too close to human use or some new regulation. It is time to hae a come to Jesus meeting with these politicians and their alphabet agencies. Fuel is $4/gal because of EPA. Freon for the A/C is $20 /lb because of EPA. Pennicillin is not available possibly due to FDA..... I say WTH??
There are no plans by the FDA to remove penicillin from the market. It is becoming a prescription product starting next year.

So what would be a realistic shelf life on a sealed vial of penicillin??
Not near long enough.
It's a crock of sheet, is what it is. The people that misuse it should be horse whipped in public while the people that don't, watch!

We all hope to not have a need for it. It's always needed on a day or time the vet isn't open too!

Buck can explain it better than I can but here is my thought.
If you work closely with your vet they can sell it to you and you could have it on hand just like now. But your vet will have to have confidence that you will use it correctly. Same for any antibiotics. Some are already restricted.

So what would be a realistic shelf life on a sealed vial of penicillin??
Properly stored, I'd be pretty comfortable with it for up to a couple years after the expiration date. It could be even longer, but I'm not sure anybody has a specific answer. For a lot of drugs, the life of the rubber stopper is probably the limiting factor. They oxidize and lose their seal over time, even if you haven't punctured them.

Buck can explain it better than I can but here is my thought.
If you work closely with your vet they can sell it to you and you could have it on hand just like now. But your vet will have to have confidence that you will use it correctly. Same for any antibiotics. Some are already restricted.
Exactly. Most vets already have very reasonable policies on this.

Like it or not, these laws are a result of the fact that farmers have overused antibiotics. The VFD rules implemented in January 2017 dropped total antibiotic sales for livestock by over 30%. I have clients who admit the rule made them realize they were just wasting drugs. They quit because it was inconvenient and found out their animals performed just as well without.

Yall are talking about a large amount of human Dr's. 😄 Like 10% of kids are allergic to penecillin. I think it's even higher in my age group.

It's funny how the science changes over the years. I guess not even scientists and Drs can always predict the long term effects of treatments. Luckily, I don't believe in stuff like that. It's sink or swim the all natural way, for my cattle.

I'm a veterinarian... the only time in the last 25 years that I've used - or even considered using - penicillin was in a futile attempt to treat a young heifer with tetanus. I knew the likelihood of success was low, but Penicillin was cheap, and potentially effective for that malady in combination with massive doses of tetanus antitoxin.
For most livestock maladies, it is an antibiotic that is a poor choice, if not totally ineffective, anymore. It's largely a drug - while miraculous in its day - whose time has come and gone, IMO.

I've rarely seen a layman - and sadly, not many of my food animal/mixed practice veterinary colleagues, either - who have used/dosed Penicillin correctly.
Based on the pharmacokinetics of the drug (we're talking plain old Procaine Penicillin G, 300,000 IU/ml), you need to give 3 cc per 100# body weight twice daily... for 3-5 days, or until clinical signs have abated. How many of y'all actually gave that much... or did you just give a cow 10cc (one 12-hr dose for a 330 lb calf) and call it 'good'?

Last edited:
What is Pennicillin best used for in cattle? We have only used it in the past 10-15 years on a calf with joint ill where he needed daily injections for a week. Most all other ailments we are using LA200 or NuFlor.

1lb Freon for my home AC was $119 last week. A gallon of Milk is $4.90. A gallon of diesel is $5.35 here in central Fla. Stock market is falling and cost if everything is going up.
The cost of everything is going up except for silver and gold....it's crazy....you'd think gold and silver would be an inflation hedge but last week i had to buy more at cheaper prices. I'm starting to believe someone, high-up, doesn't want anyone to notice gold and silver...they want you to stay out of it.

I always wondered, if abuse, misuse, and risk of growing resistance was so bad, then why do non meat animals get to use antibiotics at all?
Let's cut them out from using any, and then will see how everyone feels about antibiotic use.

I'm a veterinarian... the only time in the last 25 years that I've used - or even considered using - penicillin was in a futile attempt to treat a young heifer with tetanus. I knew the likelihood of success was low, but Penicillin was cheap, and potentially effective for that malady in combination with massive doses of tetanus antitoxin.
For most livestock maladies, it is an antibiotic that is a poor choice, if not totally ineffective, anymore. It's largely a drug - while miraculous in its day - whose time has come and gone, IMO.

I've rarely seen a layman - and sadly, not many of my food animal/mixed practice veterinary colleagues, either - who have used/dosed Penicillin correctly.
Based on the pharmacokinetics of the drug (we're talking plain old Procaine Penicillin G, 300,000 IU/ml), you need to give 3 cc per 100# body weight twice daily... for 3-5 days, or until clinical signs have abated. How many of y'all actually gave that much... or did you just give a cow 10cc (one 12-hr dose for a 330 lb calf) and call it 'good'?
I use penicillin somewhat frequently. In my opinion, it's still the best drug for listeriosis and peritonitis. Giving the proper dose is no problem for dairy farmers.

Not many people besides a vet do this and some say it isn't the right way.but I occasionally use Pen and dex under the outer membrane of the eyeball for pinkeye.

That is exactly what we mostly use pen for also @kenny thomas . That is vet suggested... catch the pinkeye fairly early and we have had great success rates with not having barely a tiny spot or none at all... and a bad case will often give them some sight around a bigger spot. I like to use it for a few other things, especially any open wounds of any kind.

Latest posts