penicillin withdraw for personal beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I 've gotta down cow. Physical injury.
I've got a free day to deal with her today.
She has had penicillin within the last 48 hours.
No concern to me , but my wife is highly allergic to penicillin. Is this a concern.?

Fence, I'm far from the expert on this subject but I've read repeatedly that antibiotic residue does not transfer into the meat in regards to human consumption, that it's all a hoax to scare people. However, with your wife's allergy I would definitely dig a little deeper to make sure. Maybe PM LuckyP, or wlamarpalmer, or MilkMaid, or Ken?

I agree with JMJ, "allergy" being the operative word. We slaughtered a cow for private consumption prior to the Banamine withdrawal (off label IM instead of IV) & our vet said it shouldn't be a problem unless we were allergic to Tylenol.

I'd be afraid to do it, unless some big gun absolutely knew it was safe. Nut allergy may be different, but they can sometimes die from drinking after someone that has eaten nuts. That'd have to be a trace amount right there.

10 day slaughter hold for both Penicillin G and Pen-Aqueous
30 days for Duo-Pen

A known allergy of a loved one = playing with fire.

I suspect penicillin would inhibit proper aging of hanging carcass by messing with the beneficial bacteria required.

It would not bother me. Penicillin is denatured by cooking.

Having said that, I would not make that recommendation to you.

I think they go overboard on the effects of antibiotics in meat.

Wouldn't do it; especially with someone in the family with a known penicillin allergy.
I'm not certain that the small amount that would be present would necessarily elicit an adverse reaction, but I'm not a pharmacologist or meat scientist, and wouldn't chance it.

Lucky_P":522cyai4 said:
Wouldn't do it; especially with someone in the family with a known penicillin allergy.
I'm not certain that the small amount that would be present would necessarily elicit an adverse reaction, but I'm not a pharmacologist or meat scientist, and wouldn't chance it.

Lucky. I have wondered about this. I have never studied it. Antibiotics are organic compounds generally speaking. At the temperatures that meats are cooked at unless you are one of those that eat a lot of rare steaks, I doubt much of the molecular state of the antibiotic is intact if any after cooking.

Margonme":2iw1wjpm said:
Lucky_P":2iw1wjpm said:

Lucky. I have wondered about this. I have never studied it. Antibiotics are organic compounds generally speaking. At the temperatures that meats are cooked at unless you are one of those that eat a lot of rare steaks, I doubt much of the molecular state of the antibiotic is intact if any after cooking.
I would imagine it would break down pretty fast. Some drugs like Baytril would break down just being the meat cooler, let alone survive freezing, and then heating.

I wouldn't do it. Freezing has no effect but heat will degrade it but only if you cook it at an extremely high temp for a long time and I doubt you will do that. Not my opinion, but based on research from the National Institute of Health, Effect of cooking and cold storage on biologically active antibiotic residues in meat page 519 has a graph. Barring the allergy, I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself but I'd err to caution in this case.

Jogeephus":843yj515 said:
I wouldn't do it. Freezing has no effect but heat will degrade it but only if you cook it at an extremely high temp for a long time and I doubt you will do that. Not my opinion, but based on research from the National Institute of Health, Effect of cooking and cold storage on biologically active antibiotic residues in meat page 519 has a graph. Barring the allergy, I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself but I'd err to caution in this case.

Thanks.
I tend to over cook meat. The heterocyclic amine (HCA) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) compounds from over cooking are probably a greater risk to me than the penicillin.

I am like your wife with a very strong allergy to penicillin. I also would not eat an animal that had been treated with penicillin within 2-3 months due to advise of an old family doctor. He never went into specifics why, but I said okay, no problem. Probably for the reasons that Jo said. He was the only doctor that found the staph infection that my dad had, when I was a kid, that almost killed him; so I tended to trust his opinion. And there is the withholding time on the bottle so that would be the minimum that I would ever consider anyway...

Workinonit Farm":367nvb16 said:
callmefence":367nvb16 said:
Thanks for taking time to post everyone. I can't stand to waste, but this one is going to be a total loss I guess.

Is there any way you could salvage the carcass for use as dog food?

Yea sure I could. And I know I just said I hate to waste. But I'm not sure if the labor/storage would pencil out for dog food.
I might see if one off my employees wants her for dog food.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/pharm ... llins.html
May want to check this out fence. PCN has a pretty short half life. If the cow was fairly young, well hydrated and no reason to suspect renal or hepatic dysfunction, well, I guess I would butcher her if it was me. Especially if she hadn't been receiving frequent dosing. How severe a reaction does your wife have? There is a gross disparity between folks who are diagnosed PCN allergic and actually are. If she goes into anaphylaxis, I would be more cautious. A rash? I wouldn't think twice...but we live on the wild side here ;-)

I wouldn't risk it but I think you would more likely get a skin reaction from small amounts orally if at all rather than full on anaphylaxis.

Ken

bball":366icfu9 said:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/pharm ... llins.html
May want to check this out fence. PCN has a pretty short half life. I guess I would butcher her if it was me.
How severe a reaction does your wife have?
I wouldn't think twice...but we live on the wild side here ;-)
How easy/expensive would it be to replace the wife?
O.K. just felt like throwing out a smart-axx comment. Easy to do sitting behind a key board.
Just couldn't resist making a bad joke... sorry. :dunce:

Latest posts