Pellet stoves

Help Support CattleToday:

Couple years ago corn stoves were the thing up here. We knew a few people using them, couldn't understand why we didn't have one yet :shock: Now their trying to sell them at garage sales :lol: :lol: Most will end up in the landfill. Can they be converted to wood pellets? Sounds like the pellets are a much better idea. 8)

I had one... for a year. The cost of driving to get pellets (80+
miles each way), storing the pellets (don't let them get wet!!), the added electricity cost of the fan and auger, and when the power goes out -- you're out of luck, all made me go back to wood as my primary heat source.

I have a friend who loves hers.

We installed one last fall. We can burn wood pellets, corn or I guess anything the has a certain percent dried(can't remember what it is). You can't rely on it here for a primary source of heat because it runs on elect. for the blower and auger. When I looked at the costs at the end of the heating season, I think we broke about even maybe a little ahead because fuel oil fluctuated so much.

If we could we would definately go to wood heat though, got enough trees!

The reason we like it is because we live in a 100 year old farmhouse and it helps warm up the first floor really well on those cold cold days.

We paid about $4.oo a bag for wood pellets and I think about the same for corn and that lasted about a day.

Oh yeah they are also a lot cleaner than a wood stove.

Have a great day

If you loose power for a ver long they aren;t worth squat except as a small awkward table.

ours works good. we have one in the basement that we turn on when we're gone all day in the winter so its not ice cold when someone gets home and can build a fire in the wood stove. like someone mentioned, you have to keep the pellets dry and you also want to make sure you buy "clean" pellets. the "dirty" ones will clog up your auger and fill up the fire pot real quick.

CUZ":20g0bvlf said:
dun":20g0bvlf said:
If you loose power for a ver long they aren;t worth squat except as a small awkward table.

Observation or experience?

The experience of observing the neighbor shivering his butt off cause his stove wouldn;t work.

My inlaws bought one, figured out it was costing them about $5.00 day to run. They are putting a new furnace in and going back to propane. Their house was cold except for where the stove was. We have wood and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I bought a pellet stove insert after our old wood stove started a chimney fire and I was able to see the smoke coming threw all the cracks in the old brick chimney. We ran the exhaust of the pellet stove up the brick chimney so it's much safer now. We have a Quadra-Fire it burns corn and or pellets. The trouble they have with corn is they can't lite it so I mix it 50/50 so it will lite. I can burn straight corn if I lite it with some pellets and then run it wide open. Corn has been about the same price as pellets so I just bought pellets last year. One thing I really like about the pellet stove is the blower sends the heat throughout the house a lot better than the wood stove did. It also has a thermostat so I'm not getting in trouble for making the house to hot. It's also nice to come home to a warm house. They do require a fair amount of maintenance. I clean mine once a week during the cold winter months. I watch for sales on pellets and find them for around $4.00 sometimes. I don't buy the cheep Wal-Mart pellets. They sell battery backups that kick on in power outages and can run a couple days.

I looked at some new models awhile back that can lite corn and they burn all kinds of different stuff. They also come with battery backup.

dun":1fi0iyes said:

That's true of almost all heating systems up north. Electric ignition, fans, circulating pumps... Up North, when the power goes out, so does the heat.

Used one for years....great until the power goes out.
Wood is still cheeper than pellets...haven't got a stand of pellet trees on the place. Dmc

RebelCritter":3hxwzdfy said:
I never heard of a pellet stove. What is it???!

You cook and heat with it. It burns goat or rabbit pellets. ;-)

Yum........

Latest posts