Pecking order

Help Support CattleToday:

moses388

Reaction score
heifer_image

Majority of the herd is those ornery Angus. The picture is from Fall 2019 and is of a heifer let's call Limi. Dam is of said Angus and the sire is red Limousin - Romn Justice NALF# NPM1541731. Limi is a total sweetheart; doesn't seem to have a mean streak what so ever.

As a young heifer, Limi was subject to abuse. Other cattle would put their head in front of Limi's rear leg and head bunt her. She developed a large abscess. It eventually broke open and slowly healed. Limi seems normal now. I pulled her first calf in Fall 2020.

Anybody else have cattle that cause these injuries? Have you seen this before?

On the Beginners Board, there is a thread called New Heifers.
Dsth wrote -
"They [cattle] may fight a little when they first get put together but that is normal as they need to establish a 'pecking order.'"

Did the cattle do this because of a pecking order? Is this the pecking order initiation? But Limi has never been an outsider. She was born and raised here. So the pecking order doesn't apply to calves? Once progeny are sexually mature they are initiated? No other cattle had an injury like this. Thoughts?

I've only noticed the abuse from smaller calves getting mixed with bigger calves. It only seems to be an issue when feeding grain.

If a cow is separated for a while and gets put back in, or transfered from one group to another (like she had a calf and she gets put with a new group of mommas), there's usually going to be some fighting. As long as they fight one at a time and don't all gang up, I've usually never had a problem, but I did have an older cow go lame when there was a gang-up and they hurt her hip. Some cows just have to fight over EVERYTHING (I found shorthorns bad for that) and they never settle it for good, they just always gotta start another fight... I ended up getting rid of all of them, it seems that now, they'll have a fight when you put them together and after that, it's settled.
Some cows are also really submissive, they won't go and eat beside a dominant cow, etc... Others don't give a darn, they'll get pushed and shoved and just keep their nose in the feed bunk

Ours have to sort things out every day this time of year when food only comes once a day. Never had young calves involved in it but once they get to be 10 months or so, they have to participate in it whether they want to or not. Often seems when one gets hurt they really let them have it. Not sure if it's because they're an easy target or if it's trying to weed out the weak like prey animals seem to do.

We had a heifer this year that got pinkeye so bad the left one popped out of her skull and never went back in. Instead of selling her we kept her and maybe get a calf or two out of her before we fatten her up to eat. Anyway, she's at the bottom of the totem pole. They picked on her hard enough about a week ago to bust the scab off of that bad eye and it hurt her bad. She didn't eat much for a day. Makes me a little mad when they pick on her so hard. Used to I'd spread bales out in a straight line. Anytime she'd start to eat, someone, anyone, would come and push her out of the way. Now I spread five or six strips out and it helps with most everyone finding their little group and less drama. Now she can find a clump or two and eat in peace.

I have one cow that's a real b---h, she bullies all the others and stands broad sided in front of the hay feeder all day blocking any other cows from eating from that side. If any act like they're gonna try to eat anywhere close to her she runs them off. She's probably going to get ground up this year.

I have only seen the pecking order when introducing new or previous herd mates after being separated for some time. my dominate cow took a ride to town yesterday because she would not let other calves in the group get close to her calf. I have seen younger calves "pick" on a herd mate pretty consistently but do not consider that as pecking order since once dominance is established the pecking order fighting usually stops. I would consider what you describe as being a bully or rest of herd mates finding her as an easy target. To them she may seem a little different for some reason. Hopefully now that she has her calf with her, the others will be more acceptable to her.

Lead cow is pushy, only when it time to eat hay. Bail is greener on the other side syndrome. During rotations around the property, they only move when she does. She leads they follow, hard to remove her from the herd. I also have her daughter at almost 2 now. She will take her place in the future.

If a cow is separated for a while and gets put back in, or transfered from one group to another (like she had a calf and she gets put with a new group of mommas), there's usually going to be some fighting. As long as they fight one at a time and don't all gang up, I've usually never had a problem, but I did have an older cow go lame when there was a gang-up and they hurt her hip. Some cows just have to fight over EVERYTHING (I found shorthorns bad for that) and they never settle it for good, they just always gotta start another fight... I ended up getting rid of all of them, it seems that now, they'll have a fight when you put them together and after that, it's settled.
Some cows are also really submissive, they won't go and eat beside a dominant cow, etc... Others don't give a darn, they'll get pushed and shoved and just keep their nose in the feed bunk
That is what I have seen too, sometimes it just takes a cow a few days of being separated for them to have some rounds when reintroduced. It always concerns me when I turn one back out with a young calf. They get to pushing around and if the calf is in the way it could get hurt.
Interesting that you mention Shorthorns being bad for it. We have a Shorthorn x Hereford cow and she is really bad about it too. She has an ongoing rivalry with the longhorn cow in my avatar as well.

That is what I have seen too, sometimes it just takes a cow a few days of being separated for them to have some rounds when reintroduced. It always concerns me when I turn one back out with a young calf. They get to pushing around and if the calf is in the way it could get hurt.
Interesting that you mention Shorthorns being bad for it. We have a Shorthorn x Hereford cow and she is really bad about it too. She has an ongoing rivalry with the longhorn cow in my avatar as well.
They also have mortal enemies and best friends.. I have a couple that can't stand to see each other, one is a Gelbvieh/Saler (Kama, goddess of love), and the other is a Gelbvieh/Shorthorn (Durga, goddess of war)... they absolutely can't get along

Kama is the brockleface

Moses,

I hope the ROMN Justice is as good for you are ours was for us. Was a great foundation cow that left us with 4 great producing daughters.