Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it will it germinate on the surface with ample rainfall?

greybeard

Reaction score
I never did it on a pasture, but the millet that falls out of our bird feeders on to the lawn grows in big clumps every time it rains. Same with Milo.
:D

wbvs58

Reaction score
Angus86":w1k9yy9f said:
Does anyone know if it will it germinate on the surface with ample rainfall?

I've broadcast it on the surface of a prepared seed bed and just run over it with a rubber tire roller and got a very good stand of millet, made great hay at my first attempt.

Ken

Turkeybird

Reaction score
Pearl millet will not usually come up good in an unprepared no till situation unless the field is burned down w/ roundup and the soil agravated w/ a aerator of some sort first, getting pearl to germinate quick and consistently is key to a productive stand,so I always disc and level up the field so good seed placement at a consistent depth w/ good soil coverage is achieved. Pearl seed is high$ so taking time to prep is advised. Sounds like red river crabgrass will serve you best for overseeding

OP
T

tncattle

Reaction score
So we're selling everything except the bull but it will be around April 20-30 before they're all off the farm/pastures. I've been dragging the pastures but nothing else. What should we do in preparation for over seeding red river or quick n big crabgrass?

Latest posts