Pearl millet question

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
I planted two patches of petal millet this year. One I Hayes one and the other I grazed. I had planned on hating them both again close to our first frost. Average would be in 3 weeks. Some of the taller stuff that they didn't graze as much has started to head out. It's maybe 15% of the stand right now. Will it still be fine for hay in three weeks? I could also go ahead and bale it now or turn the cows back in to graze it. Baling now would be my last choice.

tdc_cattle":3rcig55o said:
I planted two patches of petal millet this year. One I Hayes one and the other I grazed. I had planned on hating them both again close to our first frost. Average would be in 3 weeks. Some of the taller stuff that they didn't graze as much has started to head out. It's maybe 15% of the stand right now. Will it still be fine for hay in three weeks? I could also go ahead and bale it now or turn the cows back in to graze it. Baling now would be my last choice.

If you can bale it something beats a snowball sandwich

Personally I would let the cows finish it up while my pasture catches up on the fall flush. About the time they finish it up drill in some oats or ryegrass. And turn em back to that last bit of pasture I stockpiled

callmefence":2yvueqnr said:
Personally I would let the cows finish it up while my pasture catches up on the fall flush. About the time they finish it up drill in some oats or ryegrass. And turn em back to that last bit of pasture I stockpiled

Upon further review I've got a patch of red river crab grass that I need to move them to for that and bale the millet now. Now being next week. Evacuee we're picking a neighbors corn this week

Latest posts