peaches

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm no orchard expert, but I would think that's a pretty quick turnaround time.
I know. I am pretty impressed. We have only been here 5 years. I know we didn't get them the first year. So It would be 4 years later this fall. They were volunteers that came from a guy who has a small orchard near here. Not commercially produced trees. They had one or two peaches last year.

Here is the two trees. There is an irrigation ditch just the other side of the fence that runs water to the field 4 times or so a year. That ditch runs for about a week each time it is used. I am certain that water subs out of that ditch and keeps the ground wet under these trees. The main ditch is about 30 feet to the right of the first picture. It runs water continuously May to December. There is probably some sub action coming from that ditch too. There is a volunteer black walnut between these two trees. This winter it will get pruned up higher than the peach trees.

P9183096.JPGP9183097.JPG

One of the neighbors farther down and behind me has 2 huge peach trees. I can see them in full leaf right now. He also has fig and plum trees but I have to wonder how much fruit he actually gets. I see hordes of squirrel scampering along the top of the wooden fence on their way to and back from his fruit trees, always with something in their mouth or front paws. I assume to be peach pits.

I do love me some peaches tho. Can they easily be grown from a peach pit?
DSC00275.JPG

One of the best peach trees I ever had came up volunteer in the kitchen refuse pile of the old schoolhouse on my farm. An older lady had been living there and she piled up all table scraps in this pile.
I've had several others come up in fence rows over the years but most never amounted to much.
My failure to spray regularly has resulted in a blight and brown rot in the last several years peaches. At this point, I do not think even spraying would cure it.
Our humidity and abundance of cedar trees makes growing tree fruit difficult here.

I have had several come up from peach pits and they have been very productive. The good thing for you @Dave is that they are local so acclimated to the weather and temps and all that... They made some nice ones...

One of the best peach trees I ever had came up volunteer in the kitchen refuse pile of the old schoolhouse on my farm. An older lady had been living there and she piled up all table scraps in this pile.
I've had several others come up in fence rows over the years but most never amounted to much.
My failure to spray regularly has resulted in a blight and brown rot in the last several years peaches. At this point, I do not think even spraying would cure it.
Our humidity and abundance of cedar trees makes growing tree fruit difficult here.
Do you have any pictures of the old school house?