Peace Country Traffic

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
I actually sat and waited for 10 minutes for this traffic to clear on my way to feed this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_9GShLCr0A

bird dog said:
Thats bad. Looks like you need to move a little farther out.

I was on google earth the other day and drew a line straight north. Turns out nobody ranches between me and the north pole. So I guess I can't get any further out :shock:

Please tell me that you can put some of that livestock in the freezer..... it must get expensive to feed all those extras.... How did you know that group was done? It seemed like they kept coming like the Energizer bunny....

farmerjan said:
Please tell me that you can put some of that livestock in the freezer..... it must get expensive to feed all those extras.... How did you know that group was done? It seemed like they kept coming like the Energizer bunny....

It actually wasn't as dark as the video would have you believe. To the left is actually open field for 1.5 miles, and I could see the line of elk that originally stretched out to the quarter line 1/2 mile away. They were gathering in the field to the right of me.
But no, it's not easy to legally put one in the freezer. We have a limited entry draw, and LEH starts Dec. 1 and ends Feb 28. I have never been drawn, but have to answer the door countless times throughout the winter to hunters wishing to hunt. And I generally let them. Hard to b!tch about the elk if you don't allow people to hunt...
Regular open season is a challenge because people move in from all over the country and screw everything up so bad it makes things very difficult. So to get one legally can be a challenge for sure.

I wish they'd open up doe season in my area, we're starting to get overrun with deer.. not that they eat a whole lot, but they eat your garden and fruit trees

It wouldn't do for me to live in elk country, those things are way too tasty - legal or not!

cfpinz said:
It wouldn't do for me to live in elk country, those things are way too tasty - legal or not!

Me neither cfpinz. I would not give you a nickle for a pickup load of deer meat. Elk are an entirely different story though. Beef is the only meat I like better than elk. I have never been a poacher, but I am afraid I would end up changing my ways if I got to look at elk every day.

is it still poaching if they're a pest and you essentially raise them?

As I say, I don't hunt, there's just a few deer that are just way too close to the house that once in a while don't leave

Beef is my favorite meat as well, I do like some pork too, I like duck, but chicken is way down on the list.