patch pics

Help Support CattleToday:

iowa hawkeyes

Reaction score
IMG_3481.JPG

This is the home place. Punkins look like @#$%. I've come to the conclusion the herbicide was a little too strong. Some look ok, but most are stunted. The corn maze is the corn on this side of the creek. We cut it last week, our biggest maze yet (sorta by accident, but anyway).

IMG_3480.JPG

My sign by the road. Bought it for $70, new is $600-700. Yeah me.

IMG_3479.JPG

My 2nd patch, 1/2 mile south of home. Just showing how big the corn is. My house is in the background with the silos. Does anyone use silos anymore? We don't, but they will always stay. One has our name on it, and the other the year we (hubby and I) were born. I think that's kind of cool.

IMG_3478.JPG

Patch #2, mostly medium and large punkins, they look great.

IMG_3477.JPG

I have a 3rd patch behind that grove. They are protected from the south winds but the soil is a little lighter.

This is my 11th year. In 2000 I planted on the west side of that acreage. Then I broke my leg on July 2 and didn't get out there again. It was a decent crop so I heard. :? Since then i planted at home, but now the govt says I can't have more than 1.4 acres of punkins there, thus the 2 other plots. I hate (and won't) to give the govt credit, but I'm glad I didn't have all my eggs in one basket,

We've gotten absolutely hammered the last two nights with tornadoes, etc. 3+ inches of rain and last night high winds. Trees down everywhere, my new sign wrecked of course :frowns: . I haven't gotten to the patches yet, too wet to get in there. They are starting to branch out and those winds just tangle them up something fierce. No hail at least :) I think this weather pattern is through, the week sounds calm. Another day in the life of a farmer.

I'm always impressed with your rich soil. Corn sure looks good too. You got a steal on that sign. Keep us posted on how the pumpkins do. BTW - what's the deal with the limitation on pumpkins? Is it cause its considered produce?

Jo,
something about non corn or soybean production on that particular piece of ground. Where I have those other patches is no problem, the corn base is lower there. It will make a lot more work for me however

Seems like I signed an agreement some years ago not to grow vegetables or produce on a piece of land that I was going to plant trees on. Thought it silly to sign it being I couldn't grow both but I'm pretty sure they paid me for agreeing not to do the impossible.

If you ever use Watkins butternut flavoring, you won't ever want any other kind.

My guess is the herbicide you injured your pumpkin patch with was Prowl. I wiped out my early squash planting with it.

Watkins doesn't have the butternut anymore, :( but the butter pecan and caramel are really good too. I use and sell the Butter Salt for our popcorn and it's so good, try it! I buy it a case at a time.
I think it was Sonalan that stunted my stuff.
I just finished cultivating again. the storm the other night really shredded my big patch and the water ran hard through there, but the leaves seem to be coming back and growing. It's been my toughest year to date.

Last of July and the punkin vines are exploding. My home place still looks like @#$% but there's not much to do about it. The east patch looks really good. I had a little herbicide drift :mad: from my neighbor but they're coming out of it. The patch behind the acreage looks good too. I have a real early medium size punkin there and I have lots that are volleyball/basketball size that are orange. The state fair is in 2 weeks so I'm glad something will be ready.

Our July was one of the wettest, but warmer than normal. We had a 5" rain 1 1/2 weeks ago and more after that. The long forecast is wet and warm still too. I need a break to dry things out or there will be problems. We sprayed Headline so that'll help with the mold and fungus.

Latest posts