PASTURE WELL

Help Support CattleToday:

HomePlaceAngus

Reaction score
Need your ideas as to the easiest way to put down a new shallow pasture well. Location eastern North Carolina. Soil, clay then sand, water table about 10 foot. Would a haldralic post driver work? Any and all ideas will be appreciated. Thanks :help:

I have used a drive point before but prefer to washing wells to this. Washing is a little slow in clay but its a charm when you hit sand. I normally use a 4" casing and it helps to cut teeth in it. Also want to just use shorta joints 10 foot max. I think its best to witch for a good stream and center the well on the stream.

Does anyone still witch anymore? My grandfather used to before he passed. But that 20 years ago

It's easy if you have the knack. I can find burried water lines but that's about it. My dad can't find water even if he already knows where it is. My mom oughta do it for a living. :nod: I had a great grandmother or something to that affect that did do it for a living as a widower with kids to feed and found some of the best producing wells in this county that are still in production.

cow pollinater and Jogeephus, I had forgot about that. My dad was good at it and I used to do it with him when I was a little feller. That has been about 60 years ago. That sure is the way to start know matter how you finish. Thanks

If I decide to drive a well. Do you try to did through the clay before driving or start right out driving? The clay can go down 10-15 feet. If I use a devine rod maybe the water will be higher as well as less clay.

I drove from beginning but I had 4 foot of sand then 8-10 feet of clay then sand. My problems began in clay buy I was using a sledge hammer. This along with a wobbling stepladder made it fun. So I'd suggest doing whatever to limit depth you have to pound through clay. Don't know if you can find one but they used to make an auger with s 10 inch shovel head for clay. I used one of these about 40 years ago and the well has never gone dry. Whatever you do just be patient and don't get in a hurry.

Another well question guys? I don't know a whole lot about wells so need to ask. Another farm has an old well that I want to check out first before doing anything else for water. It is about an 1-1/2 galvanized pipe and I was told that it only had a picture pump on it at one time. It has a elbow on it now but is open, so I thought I would start by flushing it out with a water hose. Do you have to have an outside casing and an inside draw pipe? OR can you hook the 1-1/2 pipe right up to the pump? Your information will be appreciated. As you can see I do not know much about wells. Thanks

The casing is for stability and to prevent contamination from groundwater runoff. You can use it without a casing but i dont think i would drink from it muself. The problem with galv pipe is ththat it rusts out below the ground over time and you may end up sucking air and the pump loses prime

hooknline":2lcaovru said:
Does anyone still witch anymore? My grandfather used to before he passed. But that 20 years ago

Years ago, I had a well go dry on a rental property I had. (Nobody ever treats your property as their own -- I learned this the hard way.) I contacted a dowser, an older gentleman, and asked for his help. He came out to my house and I followed him around with bricks to mark places where he said the well drillers should dig. He would not accept a fee (said dowsing was a gift, not a service) but I urged him to take money for gas, which he did.

The well drillers ignored his advice and went about drilling where they wanted. They put in a new well, but it kind of spoiled it for me.

hooknline":2r2uhmde said:
The casing is for stability and to prevent contamination from groundwater runoff. You can use it without a casing but i dont think i would drink from it muself. The problem with galv pipe is ththat it rusts out below the ground over time and you may end up sucking air and the pump loses prime
Thanks hooknline, That was the answer that I was looking for. I am going to go ahead and give it a try. Nothing to loose. The water is just for the cattle.

Latest posts