Pasture walk

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anyone ever host a pasture walk through USDA-NRCS? Other then the obvious of talking about what you've done and what you plan on doing, etc., any other pitfalls/pratfalls to be expected?

Thanks

dun

The first thing that comes to my mind is Biosecurity.
Never held a pasture walk and havn't been to one since college.

I've never heard of that practice dun. What is the point? To get others to see what you've done? Get suggestions and ideas?

USDA will come out and look at your land for suggestions in conjunction with their programs. We had a test plot of bermuda grasses a few years ago and had the "tour" here, but that's about it.

TheBullLady":s6no552u said:
I've never heard of that practice dun. What is the point? To get others to see what you've done? Get suggestions and ideas?

USDA will come out and look at your land for suggestions in conjunction with their programs. We had a test plot of bermuda grasses a few years ago and had the "tour" here, but that's about it.

They're pretty much so that other grazers can see what you're doing and why, and how it works and why. They have them here a couple of times a year, sometimes to show fencing systems, or unique watering systems, how to's for people just trying to figure out better methods of doing things. In a way, they're like a neighbor stopping by to see your place and get ideas and offer suggestions. Only in this case it's a bunch of neighbors from a lot of diferent backgorunds. May be a guy with a couple of cows on 5 acres, an old lady with 500 acres and 500 cows or a dairyman that's looking to start a grazing program. Plus the lookers that are just nosey and want to see what you've been up to.

dun

Latest posts