Pasture to garden

Help Support CattleToday:

Not knowing where the garden will be....you would probably want to kill the "grasses" first. When I expanded my garden into the pasture...I killed the grasses first with round-up...then plowed under...then leveled....then hit it with a rototiller. I spread 13-13-13 over the "new" garden before running the rototiller through it. I also worked some cow manure into the land...something we had plenty of. Hope this helps...good luck. cheers, Bill

That will really depend on size of space you are trying to turn into garden. The instructions on the back of the bottle should give you some advice. I use a "generic" round-up that I get from the local Coop. Costs about half of what "real" round-up costs and is just as good. I don't have a lable handy but I think 2 oz's in one gallon of water is good for about 100 sq ft. Or for bigger areas, one or two quarts per acre mixed with 25 gallons of water. This is a guess and you will need to read the label. Make sure the grass you are trying to kill is out of dormancy...actively growing. I would suggest you kill, plow up, let sit for a week to 10 days and see what grows and then if need be...hit it again with round-up. This will help get the weed seeds you turned over when you plowed. Hope this helps. Cheers, bill

Now that Monsanto's patent on "Roundup" has expired, there are several other "brands" of this chemical. The chemical name is "Glyphosate". Buy the 41% strength of a generic if you can. The "handy-hands-at-home" ready-to-use formulations at "hardware and home-improvement stores" are low strength and you are paying mostly for water.

You should be able to find the 41% at farm & ranch stores, some of your local hardware & garden centers, farmer's co-ops, etc. Read the label: you get what you pay for.

Another "marketing ploy" is with Diazenon, for example. Several of the "garden chemical" manufacturers (you know who they are) will list several products for different specialized uses (bugs, e.g.) that all have same chemical. Read the label, then buy.

Running Arrow Bill,

I believe it's 41% instead of 42%. Didn't want to send skyeagle off on a Goose chase he can't catch.

My local Farm store has Eraser for $55 per 2 1/2 gallon or $50 if you buy 2 jugs.

Nowland Farms":30siav6h said:
Running Arrow Bill,

I believe it's 41% instead of 42%. Didn't want to send skyeagle off on a Goose chase he can't catch.

My local Farm store has Eraser for $55 per 2 1/2 gallon or $50 if you buy 2 jugs.

Thanks for the correction! I corrected my post.

Bottomline is: "Buy the chemical, not the brand name"...lol.

you probably should have already planted or be planting right now. I am not for sure what you planting dates are in Tenn, But here in Oklahoma I will start planting In a week or two.

I usually wait 3 days after I apply round-up before I plant veggies...could probably plant sooner since glyphosate works against the roots via the leaves and stem. I don't believe it has any "emergence" capability...that is...keep something from growing but some of this "new" stuff might. However, I think you're safe if you wait 3 days. I've done it this way for the past 2 years and has worked just fine. Happy growing...cheers, Bill

I am guessing you have already gotten the garden going but here are some tips for the future.

The active ingrediate in Roundup (Glyphosate) is extremely safe and basically becomes inert once it touches the soil. So if you are turning some new land into a garden, here is how I would try to exhaust the weed seed bank.

Prepare the soil really early in the year and create a firm seed bed. Water the area, (or let nature water it) and once you see weeds emerging, spray the area. Repeat this procedure up until you either run out of weeds (unlikely) or it is time to plant.

Where you plant seeds, you can even spray that area up until a couple of days before your plants come up. That way you can get the late sprouting weeds. If you plant plants (tomatoes, peppers, etc...) and you still notice a weed problem, you can put a bucket upside down on top of them and spray around them.

Happy Gardening!

Nowland Farms":3g32vi2x said:
Running Arrow Bill,

$50 is a great price. I have been paying $70 for 2.5 41%. where are you getting it?

Alabama....I get mine at Ashford Farmer's Coop for $50 per 2 1/2 gal...called Buccaneer Plus...41%...we are in SE Alabama. Cheers, Bill

Latest posts