pasture rotation

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Do you have one of these cows who is at the gate every day wanting to mooooove.. I named this cow Trouble Maker. She hears me miles away and calls the girls to the gate. I have to sneak in the back door so that she wont hear me. Sometimes i cant get through the gate if i'm just passing through. Sometimes i wont move them just out of spite..lol..
This picture is in the heat of the summer, I must have beat her to the gate because its open and she's still calling. But she calls everyone and they come running.

Every herd has their early bird. When i'm going to move them, i'll drive by her slowly and watch her watch me. I usually whistle to move them. I'll whistle very low where only she can hear it and its almost instant she's headed for the gate..lol...No one will go through until she's through. One time i needed to move them backwards and she'd have no part of that. I think she told them all it was a trick and they stood at the gate refusing to go in.. She makes pasture rotation a chore.

Yep! They listen for us coming out, and all sit and moo loudly until we open a new section. We move them daily, and if they have to wait while we set up a new line, none of us can hear each other talk if we have any distance between us because they are so loud! But all I have to do is call "come on girls" and they will come running full speed at me!

For Sure!! I think everyone has "That" cow! In my case, she is a full-mouth Charolais that has a bellow that can get under your skin in a hurry.

Latest posts