Pasture Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1tke0mze said:
I see it advertised on CL for wanted and available.

Were any of them worth a flip? I saw a few but they looked like the FarmerOnly.com adds....

"Cow pasture for lease. We have 12 total acres. Our house sits on 2ac. The other 10ac is available. It will only be shared with our 4 horses. We consider them friends of the family and know they will love the companionship of the cattle. Please call..." :shock:

Brute 23":1ww5w2se said:
M-5":1ww5w2se said:

Were any of them worth a flip? I saw a few but they looked like the FarmerOnly.com adds....

"Cow pasture for lease. We have 12 total acres. Our house sits on 2ac. The other 10ac is available. It will only be shared with our 4 horses. We consider them friends of the family and know they will love the companionship of the cattle. Please call..." :shock:

Some actually are good little places But They are just 2 far from where I live to be functional. Some people want to try and lease to strangers because they know the locals wont take care of it.

M-5":7lze5vbb said:
Brute 23":7lze5vbb said:
M-5":7lze5vbb said:

Some actually are good little places But They are just 2 far from where I live to be functional. Some people want to try and lease to strangers because they know the locals wont take care of it.

Interesting. I have often thought about putting an add out just to see what happens kind of thinking along the same lines.

When I was in middle school I put an add in the paper to mow lawns. There were at least 3 or 4 guys mowing in town already. The next week after the add ran I was covered up. About 1/3 of the people had a bad experience with the "regulars" and wanted new blood. The next third wanted to price check against the "regulars". The last third were from out of town and depend on the news paper or online to find help. I prefer doing business with the last third.

Get them to agree to a long term lease with penalties for both lessee and lessor for cancellation prior to end of lease and at least one guaranteed renewal for same term as original lease for an agreed amount. Not fool proof but gives you some insurance.

I had a ad on CraigsList asking for available grazing lease land with a minimum of 50 acres. It was on there about 60 days and renewed often to get it back to the top. I limited to my county and the ones around me. I didn't get one response except from a guy who sent me a email to let me know that if I turned down any offers, direct them his way.

Still need to know where you are located? How many cows are we talking about? I have seen several very big leases Northern Nevada and California, and Eastern Oregon in the Capital Press but those were earlier in the year.

Not sure where you are at but if your in the Minnesota and southern Wisconsin area there is a website called "land stewardship project" that has both lease and looking to lease pastures and farms. There are a couple other ones that I can't think of at the moment, if you do a google search there should be some results.
Craigslist can work but it can bite you in the ass too. Found a one that sounded really good till I thought about it and realized I was over paying for the ground that was good and a large majority was mature woods that had little grazing. The pasture I ended up renting this year was listed in a local paper. Paid a little more than I probably should have but he takes care of the fences and has a great guardrail corral for catching them that has been handy. I know everyone says cheap rent is the only way to go but not having to worry about fence repairs is priceless.

Ranchworldads.com
Most are big places in the SW US. Mostly AZ and NM and BLM places.
Lots of places with full care available.
I'd give my right testi .. ear for a good lease place

backhoeboogie":1w30vdzc said:
My problem has always been longevity. Fix it up and you lose it.

i have a neighbors 12 ac .. he hasn't touched it in years. It's actually looking pretty good now with my cows on it.

Now he's asking me to mow, spray, etc... I'm like.. I'll mow it once, thats it.

After ripping all the trees down, getting it all nice.. new fence.. boom.. that place will be on the market for top dollar and not even a 'thanks' to me.

nah.. i'll just let it grow up and buy it for market price like it is.

ddd75":sus94fc3 said:
backhoeboogie":sus94fc3 said:

i have a neighbors 12 ac .. he hasn't touched it in years. It's actually looking pretty good now with my cows on it.

After ripping all the trees down, getting it all nice.. new fence.. boom.. that place will be on the market for top dollar and not even a 'thanks' to me.

Unless someone else is willing to pay more.

ddd75":kwm2r60e said:
backhoeboogie":kwm2r60e said:

There is a man who had his pasture leased sort of the same way. The kid on it really didn't need it any longer but he was going to stay since he had fixed it up so nice. The owner decided to go up on the rent. I helped the kid get his stuff off of that place. Anyway, that place has been sitting and is getting grown over with mesquites and weeds. It needs a little TLC and the owner will probably loose his tax exemption if it does not stay in ag.

Might be steppin' on my dick here, but, it is a family trait...

In the northeast area, anyone care to share what they think is a reasonable price for grazing land?

Looking at a place this weekend although it will be covered in snow, but the nice lady say's it's super rich soil, grows thicker than thick. When I asked her what it actually grew, she said it was green... Which is a true statement I'm sure.

Pasture is already fenced with high tensile and water is available says she.

I believe it'll be 10-15 acres or so, 10 miles from our farm.

Thanks.

What's an average per acre rate to lease pasture? I'm tempted to approach a new neighbor that has 20 acres in row crops leased out and see if I can flip them to hay. Would save me some hauling cost and time.

For hay, I've heard ~25bucks/acre + or - , depending on the productivity of the field. Or 50 cents /bale.

For grazing land I've heard anywhere from 25 to 50 cents per pound weight gain.

Disclaimer: Those above were other peoples numbers.

My personal experience is I hay two "leased" fields. Both on a handshake.

One is semi rough, ok hay, 5-6 acres. I bring him a couple packages of beef and a growler from a local brewery. The other field is 8 or so acres, flat, rectangular, good quality hay, I bring him a cord of wood, cut split and delivered. Both fields are with-in a 1/2 mile of the farm.

NonTypicalCPA":2knut3oa said:
What's an average per acre rate to lease pasture? I'm tempted to approach a new neighbor that has 20 acres in row crops leased out and see if I can flip them to hay. Would save me some hauling cost and time.

$4-$5.

Latest posts