pasture grass 101

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Can someone point a newbie in the right direction on learning what grass to plant and all that is involved. Im 50 miles south of San Antonio, mainly sandy loam soil. Soil prep has not been done in 15 yrs atleast.

Thankyou

1982vett":19yncp4b said:
What is on it now?

Not sure on the type of grass, I know its never been planted. Its a natural clearing (roughly 60-70 acres) across a creek and I recently made a clearing/road to access the area when I rented a dozer. Have run the shredder across it earlier in the year. Going to work on prepping the area/cleanup to hopeully utilize after this drought is over.

Brute 23 thanks for the info, will be reading up on these.

I think I'd go with Buffel Grass unless there was some extenuating circumstance. I'm all ears if there are any contrary opinions.

jack1234":ln25vc0f said:
I think I'd go with Buffel Grass unless there was some extenuating circumstance. I'm all ears if there are any contrary opinions.

I too am curious about Buffel grass, there is a place here in Corpus that sells nothing but Buffel Grass. They swear buy it, have some nice pics of fields they have planted. Its expensive...

That buffel grass may become a big problem in the more arid areas. I would really investigate it's nutritional value before I even thought about seeding it. But then it is not used in my area at all, just my opinion.

Latest posts