Passing on Temperment to Offspring

Help Support CattleToday:

circlet

Reaction score
Just was curious what everyone's opinion is of how much of a horses temperment is inherited and how much is environment and/or just random. I'm never quite certain what I really think, I think that all in all, I don't figure a horse will be gentle just because it's parents were, but on the other hand, I've been exposed to a herd of 10-15 horses that were bred from the same stallion, and in this herd 3 of them from one particular mare seem to be a little "hotter" than the rest, so maybe that was passed on?

But all in all, I don't know what to think... :help: Maybe someone will help me continue to shape my opinion.

Well, don't know about shaping your opinion, but I think that a horse can pass it's temperment on to a foal, just as they do other traits. I have a mare that I have four foals out of, this mare is a big mare, sweet and kind, a "do about anything to" type of mare. Of the 4 foals the oldest, my gelding is sweet and kind do about anything to. My 2yr old stallion project is the same way .... except when his brains in the back kick in, then he is just a easy to handle stallion, not an "I'm going to eat your breakfast" type of a stud. Now in between these two is another gelding that as a youngster was a real jerk, biter and fighter, gelded and he is a pretty good horse. The youngest, while not mean is a bit of a jerk, needs gelded. So 2 of the 4, I believe she passed on temperment.

Good post.
Alan

were these colts from the same stud as well as the same mare? if so, what kind of temper did he have?

circlet":l2j87ve2 said:
were these colts from the same stud as well as the same mare? if so, what kind of temper did he have?

No they were all from different studs, but the 2 act just like the mare... Kind of

Alan

circlet":dk43e5mh said:
Just was curious what everyone's opinion is of how much of a horses temperment is inherited and how much is environment and/or just random.

I believe that part of it is environment, part of it is handling and knowledge of the owner, none of it is random(unless, by 'random', you are referring to genetics), and that you have to remember that when you breed a particular mare to a particular stallion you are also breeding that mares mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great-grandmother, etc, temperament - and the same with the stallion. All it takes is one renegade to throw off the whole thing, and that there are no guarantees as to the foals temperament because of it. We bred the same mare to the same stallion 4 times - we got 1 gentle, friendly, even tempered mare, 1 somewhat temperamental gelding who was not all that friendly and had a tendency to buck, 1 somewhat high-strung, stand-offish mare, and 1 very high-strung mare who was friendly as long as you weren't riding her. According to the people in the know, all the bloodlines were great, though. :lol: :lol:

msscamp":37lo7kre said:
circlet":37lo7kre said:
Just was curious what everyone's opinion is of how much of a horses temperment is inherited and how much is environment and/or just random.

I believe that part of it is environment - how big a part depends on how early you start establishing a bond of trust, and how much you work with the foal starting when it is very young and continuing on until it is time to break him/her to ride - part of it is handling and knowledge of the owner, none of it is random(unless by 'random', you are referring to genetics), and that you have to remember that when you breed a particular mare to a particular stallion you are also breeding in that mares mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great-grandmother, etc, temperament - and the same with the stallion. All it takes is one renegade in the lineage to throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Oh I totally agree that temperment is passed on to foals. We matched a mare and stallion three times and two took after the stallion, kind and quick learning, and the last one took after the mare...a B!^@#!!!! She was a game mare, hot blooded, excellent cattle horse, the lead mare in the band, take no prisoner she's the boss. The last stud colt we got is the same way and we're hoping by taking out his batteries that will calm him down. We gelded the last one and put him out until he was two and I've been working with him the last couple of months and he's come a long way. I'll be able to ride him by the end of the summer. The first filly we got, and still have, I started two years ago and she's been nothing but a baby. Cooperative, quick learning, and trustworthy.

Latest posts