Passing Gas

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My husband bought a heavy breed cow from the sale. Her BCS is like a 2 she is very malnurtrished and she is PASSING a lot of gas and I can't find anything on the internet about cows passing gas. Does anyone have any knowledge on this... she doesn't look bloated and as I said she is PASSING a the gas.

Thx all

It's a lot of gas... and her dung is a pat it's a bit wet but it stacks. She is eating and drinking water, she's still a bit Skittish but I think that's from stress.

I was told Sometimes when they preg check at the sale it will cause this. Lasts a few days. I've only noticed it in thinner cows but not sure if that may have only been coincidence

you don't know what you are feeding your animals? what is your general location (state)? does the hay look like strands of grass, or does it have small green stems and leaves (alfalfa is a legume, but I think it is more grown out west than back east or in the north)

either way, if she is eating, drinking and pooping, eyes bright, ears not droopy she is likely fine

I would say most likely diet related, she hasn't developed the bacteria in her rumen to break down the feed she is on. If you keep it simple and slowly increase the energy side of her feed over two weeks she should be fine.

Redgully said:
I would say most likely diet related, she hasn't developed the bacteria in her rumen to break down the feed she is on. If you keep it simple and slowly increase the energy side of her feed over two weeks she should be fine.

Thank you Redgully

My thinking is if she is very skinny as you say she might be sucking air into the rectum and possibly the vagina and that comes out along with the manure and you are seeing that as a lot of gas coming out. Those that AI cows would know how the rectum can fill with air as you take your arm out. If she is skinny and very hollow around the rear end then this is more conducive to sucking air in.

Ken

she isn't used to that high protein yer giving her the 12%. lay off that til she is chowing and laying around on the hay...sounds like the feed is too hot to me

Midtenn said:
I was told Sometimes when they preg check at the sale it will cause this. Lasts a few days. I've only noticed it in thinner cows but not sure if that may have only been coincidence

Very common for a few days with sale barn cows that have been preg checked especially thin cows. If she is eating well she is fine.

wbvs58 said:
My thinking is if she is very skinny as you say she might be sucking air into the rectum and possibly the vagina and that comes out along with the manure and you are seeing that as a lot of gas coming out. Those that AI cows would know how the rectum can fill with air as you take your arm out. If she is skinny and very hollow around the rear end then this is more conducive to sucking air in.

Ken

Time to fire up that vacuum cleaner!

Latest posts