Cow not passing afterbirth.

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80":h9vyy4ue said:
I pull them out, put boluses in the cow and give her an antibiotic. Never had any problems doing it that way, and I know some have never had a problem just leaving it. But my question to those that leave it is, would you leave one in your wife???

Probably not, but neither would I hit her with a hot shot, put a tube down her to releave bloat, ect. Just not the same thing.

Just do what I do, it'll be wrong. Had a cow that I thought lost her calf, and hadn't cleaned yet, and another one calved at the same time so I tricked her into thinking the live one was hers also. Ended up the one that I thought had the live calf and hadn't cleaned had actually had the dead calf. I know this because when she cleaned 4 days later another dead calf came out with the rest of the afterbirth, she had had twins in her.
Don't want to hijack, but I always try to make a cow claim another calf if she loses one. The calves get really big sucking two mommas' all summer. Have lost 2 this year and everything has got a calf sucking it. gs

bandit80":2ah3gkrz said:
I pull them out, put boluses in the cow and give her an antibiotic. Never had any problems doing it that way, and I know some have never had a problem just leaving it. But my question to those that leave it is, would you leave one in your wife???

No and neither would the doctor.

I have always left the placenta alone. I've been told horror stories about cows getting pretty messed up in the uterus from pulling before it detaches. I guess I figure it is easier to treat an infection than it is to mend a tore up uterus.

novaman":342jb4fz said:
I have always left the placenta alone. I've been told horror stories about cows getting pretty messed up in the uterus from pulling before it detaches. I guess I figure it is easier to treat an infection than it is to mend a tore up uterus.
Like any other procedure you learn to feel things inside and work slowly and cautiously with them. Done properly you won't get any tears or new bleeding although you might have to go in again the next day and infuse the cow again. If you're not going to remove it at least do something positive to help get it out asap. Down here when especially in spring and summer it's rotten in 48 hours.

I had a cow that had a calf yesterday evening and i saw her eating her afterbirth then. I saw her again this afternoon and she has not cleaned out completely. I have read all of the previous measages about leaving her alone and she will pass it in within a week or so. I am not a fan of this and if she doesn't look better tomorrow evening I plan to go in and clean her out and place boluses in her. He bag is very big and the calf can only nurse one teet at this time and if I clean her out I plan to milk her as well to relieve her somewhat.

As long as they look satisfied and are eating/drinking, I'm disinclined to do anything with them -and I sure don't wanna touch that stinkin' thing!. But... as you found, sometimes, they just need a tug to get 'em 'over the hump' and out they come. But... if they're still firmly attached, we do not advocate pulling them out or 'unbuttoning' the placentomes.

Three sets of twins in last year. Two retained placenta. I want the uterus ready for another pregnancy ASAP. Do a sweep of the uterus by way of rectum. That sweeps out a lot of blood and pieces. Then push 3 to 5 Uterine boluses through the cervix into the uterus in both cases. Bred back on first AI service.

Lucky_P":2yvzqgf3 said:
As long as they look satisfied and are eating/drinking, I'm disinclined to do anything with them -and I sure don't wanna touch that stinkin' thing!. But... as you found, sometimes, they just need a tug to get 'em 'over the hump' and out they come. But... if they're still firmly attached, we do not advocate pulling them out or 'unbuttoning' the placentomes.
Yup, I remember the old days of unbuttoning the placenta, now I would prefer leaving it alone unless it's dragging on the ground. Then I tie it back up to itself so hit hangs just above the hocks.

We recently had a hard pull on a heifer. Calf was dead, she was down (still has nerve damage) and retained every bit of her placenta. I tried Lutalyse & another couple uterine boluses but it wasn't coming out & she smelled something fierce! Had the vet come out because I was pretty sure she also had some tearing & he did do a complete cleanse along with a hefty dose of penicillin, we gave her another round a couple days later and we'll take her in towards the end of August so he can determine (guess?) whether she'll be able to breed back.

Latest posts