Parasites?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
Had to put a cow down last night. I went out and she was laying beside the straw pile and I couldn't get her on her feet and she was deathly thin. Looked like she's been laying there for the best part of the day. I saw her about two weeks ago and thought to myself she was getting a bit thin but hadn't really noticed her since. Kind of one of the downsides of working full time and always doing chores in the dark. I lost another one last month, same thing so I was thinking hardware disease although I'm pretty careful about that stuff. The rest of the cows are really fleshy. The only difference with these two was that they were new to the farm this year. I treated them for lice but never thought to de-worm them as its never been a problem before. So, I phoned the vet this morning. He figures its parasites. He says that these worms suck the blood out of them until they become so anemic and weak that they can't get up. I'd never heard of that before. He says the rest of the cows probably have an immunity to them because they've been here longer. Expensive lesson. The only other new animal on the farm is the bull so I'll be treating him tonight. He's getting a bit thin but hopefully I'm not too late. I hope he stands still. There's about 7 feet of snow in the corral and chute and the only way to clear it is with a shovel.

Hey CRR,

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck with those cows. I sure hope you don't have to shovel that snow, as it seems you've already put in overtime with that shovel earlier this year in lieu of your brother-in-law (am I remembering this correctly?).

Have you started cavling yet? Was thinking about you yesterday when I was shovelling some snow myself, and was wondering if the 'muse' has inspired any new cowboy poetry...miss reading your ponderings and reflections (my form of a subtle hint requesting some more rhymes from you...maybe one on calving or bull sales ;-) ).

Take care and hope your bull stands for the pour-on.

It was actually my brother that was the problem. I usually don't calve until the first of April but I bought three replacements that are calving right now (1 down, 2 to go). I guess I shoulda bought one more. The vet also suggested I give the bull a shot of penicillin. I'll be curious to see how that works out. Kinda hard to run in those big, insulated snow boots and tough duck coveralls but at least I'll have some padding if he doesn't take it well. LOL.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2oqk1eme said:
Why play rodeo? Do you not have facilities to work him. ie sweep and squeeze shoot or headgate? If so why play rodeo. Lure him in the shoot with some sweet feed and then have someone slam the door shut. Make sure you have an exit though at all times.

Yep. Its just that 7 feet of snow in the chute that's slowing me down from doing it that way. If the boy was a little older, I'd send him out to clear it for me. Otherwise, its probably 4 or 5 hours shovelling to clear it.

I have one heifer that is much thinner than the others. They all are doing a lot of scratching right now. I plan on worming them this weekend and I was wondering if the de-wormer will also take care of lice and other parasites. I plan to use a pour-on.

BTW, I did a search and while this question was alluded to in several posts, I didn't really see a definite answer.

Only thing about wormers...isn't it dangerous to give them during these winter months due to grubs?

If it was me Id spray for the lice if they bother you all that much. Then Id save my wormer money until after greenup..I know some of you folks got differnt ways where moneys concerned tho. Its a little bit early to pour cattle far as Im concerned.

Tape!!!!!!!

Where you been? Haven't seen you post in a while. All this beating that caustic's been taking for being abrasive, we need someone else on here to take the heat off.

tapeworm":y9si45lx said:
If it was me Id spray for the lice if they bother you all that much. Then Id save my wormer money until after greenup..I know some of you folks got differnt ways where moneys concerned tho. Its a little bit early to pour cattle far as Im concerned.

Doesn't bother me at all, I'm not itching. :D But the heifer looks anemic to me and the vet told me a couple of weeks ago she looked wormy. I was just thinking kill two birds with one stone.
I have enough work to do and enough bills to pay already and am in no hurry to add to either pile. Are ya'll saying I should wait and if so, when would it be safe?

If you didnt pour em at the end of last fly season Id sure want to talk to avet or somebody in your area before killing grubs

cypressfarms":24izexfd said:
Tape!!!!!!!

Where you been? Haven't seen you post in a while. All this beating that caustic's been taking for being abrasive, we need someone else on here to take the heat off.
Hello cypress farms...caustics a big girl..she can take care of herself. LOL

Its sad that theres to many people around here that dont appreciate somebody being plain spoken..I prefer it myself. Burros the same way i think. If they cant stand the heat over a silly computer they sure wont like it at the sale barn or all the other places that we have to function in..thats my 2cents

Well, I have never seen a bull worth needlin or playing rodeo with in those circumstances, especially if your not sure what the problem is. And if those two were the last from the farm you bought them at your problems may be over.

Good Luck!

Latest posts