palpation

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee":2co44odo said:
I have heard that after 5 months you can "bump" the cow to tell if a calf is in there. I can't even recall if it is the left or right side of the cow you push on. I had a vet show me a couple years ago, and you could feel the calf "bounce back" against your hand after you pushed on the cow. But it's not going to work on a 45 day bred cow.

Bumping isn't infallible either. If it was you wouldn't see supposedly open cows or short breds that calf on the way into the parlor. And it happens more often then you would think.

dun

That should be real simple for someone that has never had his arm inside a cow before.

LOL! I had the local repro vet check my nurse cow (she was about 230 days) and then he invited me to try checking my cow as well. First time I've ever tried it and it was about as foreign to me as stepping on the moon. She carries her calf really low and I honestly couldn't get my arm in far enough to touch the calf.

It's usually about 6 months when you can bump the calf on the right side...and as dun said you can't always feel the calf, either. My boss owns a cow he was reluctant to dry off as he couldn't bump the calf that was suppposed to be there...when the vet preg checked his herd that cow was over 8 months.

Find yourself a good repro vet and let him check your cows. =)

Has anyone heard of this? Another rancher told me that when he palpated a cow, there is a blood vessel that becomes very large that can be detected to supply blood to the calf. He said you could feel the pulse going through it when you palpate. If the cow isn't bred, then the vessel remains small and can't be detected.

Chuckie":3phaf6y2 said:
Has anyone heard of this? Another rancher told me that when he palpated a cow, there is a blood vessel that becomes very large that can be detected to supply blood to the calf. He said you could feel the pulse going through it when you palpate. If the cow isn't bred, then the vessel remains small and can't be detected.

It's only at a specific point that you can feel the "purr" as it's generally referred to.

dun

Chuckie":3n0kuaxd said:
dun, Can the purr be detected before the calf is big enough to feel in the uterus?

Someone that is skilled can detect the fetus in the uterus before the mid-uterine artery can be felled to purr/buzz. Seems like the artery is noticable around 4 months or so.
I've never felt it, but I've never tried past about 60 days or after about 6 months. A neighbor went to a 2 week school on preg checking and it seems like she said it's more a matter of helping to tell the stage of pregnancy then just if there is a pregnancy.
I don't even bother checking anymore myself. The fet charges a buck and half to sleeve a cow and he's here for fall workup anyway.
As I said in an earlier post, the most common complaint I hear about vets is mis-diagnosing pregnancy and the stage of pregnancy. Those that are really good at it are amazing.

dun

i have bred a number of cows that had a false heat and were actualy pregnant.

i have bred hundreds of cows in my life and never felt a preg one.
we find out that she was preg to an earlier date when the vet checks them on herd health.

if you arnt gentle and suweeze something to hard she could abort.

i sugest call the vet to check them.
he has special training and has had lots of practice.

al

Fleckvieh DPB":24czsibl said:
he has special training and has had lots of practice.
al

Not all vets have. Actually very few of them has had lots of practice.

When palpating cows in their 3rd trimester, how accurate can a call for expected number of weeks to calving be? I asked my vet to do this and so far he has got a few right (+/- a few days), but most were way out by several weeks. Glad I did not split my herd into early and late calvers!

Is there any other way to preg test in early pregnancy, other than palpation? I have read of birth defects (such as no anus) being due to palpation in early stages of pregnancy.

When palpating cows in their 3rd trimester, how accurate can a call for expected number of weeks to calving be?

The repro vet here can just about tell you to the day.

Latest posts