painting some barns, asphalt or acrylic?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I need to paint some barns that have been neglected for awhile. Here in Kentucky most of the barns are black. I can get acrylic or asphalt paint and was wondering which one holds up best. I have also seen some lacquer type black fence paint. these are my neighbors barns and he want me to spray them for him. I think he will get the cheapest thing he can buy so I wanted to get a little info on paint. I hate to waste time and money putting on something that will be shot in a year. What kind of paint have you guys had good luck with. Joe

Why not mix roofing tar with diesel. It would be cheap and it holds up reasonably well. Most of our board fences down this way are painted in this manner.

Can't remember off the top of my head but all you need to do is just add the diesel to the tar until its watery. You can adjust the darkness by leaving it a bit thicker. It lasts a long time and evenly fades with time so it looks good for years. I've also used burnt oil and diesel but this doesn't last nearly as long if its in the sun.

kenojoe":1t1ihlfn said:
I need to paint some barns that have been neglected for awhile. Here in Kentucky most of the barns are black. I can get acrylic or asphalt paint and was wondering which one holds up best. I have also seen some lacquer type black fence paint. these are my neighbors barns and he want me to spray them for him. I think he will get the cheapest thing he can buy so I wanted to get a little info on paint. I hate to waste time and money putting on something that will be shot in a year. What kind of paint have you guys had good luck with. Joe
Wait til he buys the material and then get what you need to spray it...................

I talked to the folks at Barn Paint.Com, they told me the acrylic is the better product and is also cheaper. As for the tar and diesel mix, 3 years ago I mixed 5 gals. tar, burnt oil and diesel making 15 gallons of homemade "creosote". Someone on this site had put it in tips and tricks. I soak a good number of posts in it for days. They sure looked good when we drove them but it didn't last long. These posts sat in the barn for several months after they were soaked. Within a year of putting up the fence all of the posts facing the sun were faded out. The ones in the woods are still black.

Latest posts