Pacific Northwest Folks

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
My family and I visited my mother-in-law last week in the Tri-City area of WA. We flew in to Pasco and I believe she lives in Richland. We stayed in that area for a day and then headed down I84 along the Columbia River into Portland. Through Portland to Canon Beach, OR. We drove 101 down to Crescent City, CA. Headed up to Grant's Pass, OR and then flew back out of Portland.

Absolutely beautiful country that was very diverse. From the desert in Tri-Cities, a snowball fight on Mt. Hood, running on the beach, seeing whales, sand rail ride on the dunes, to the very impressive redwoods. We had an awesome time. The redwoods were unbelievable!

Do any of you folks live along or close to my travels? I was surprised at all of the irrigation and the amount of hay that was layed down ready to bale. Compared to the Ozarks the roads were excellent and everything seemed so clean and neat. The people were all very nice and helpful too.

I am about 90 miles north of Portland but I have certainly driven all those roads mentioned a lot of times. Depending on which route you took going from Portland to Canon Beach you would have driven pretty close to Alan. It is pretty diverse up here. I can be at the ocean in about an hour. High up in the mountains in about an hour and a half. In an area with less than 12 inches of annual rainfall in under three hours or in a rainforest with over 200 inches of rainfall in less than two hours. And last week we even had some decent weather for you.

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation out here! It is pretty diverse conditions here, you started in the desert, a few hours later having a snow ball fight and then another few hours playing in the Oregon surf! It's hard not to love this area. Sounded like a great trip.

I'm about 30 to 40 miles west, slightly northwest, of Portland. About a mile off the Columbia as the crow flies. If you had followed hwy 30 along the Columbia river to the Oregon coast, Astoria, you would have been within a mile of our place.

Alan

Dave":2kylfel2 said:
I am about 90 miles north of Portland but I have certainly driven all those roads mentioned a lot of times. Depending on which route you took going from Portland to Canon Beach you would have driven pretty close to Alan. It is pretty diverse up here. I can be at the ocean in about an hour. High up in the mountains in about an hour and a half. In an area with less than 12 inches of annual rainfall in under three hours or in a rainforest with over 200 inches of rainfall in less than two hours. And last week we even had some decent weather for you.

Shhh Dave!!! Don't make it sound too good. :hide: :lol:

Alan":20f2p9lh said:
Dave":20f2p9lh said:

Shhh Dave!!! Don't make it sound too good. :hide: :lol:

Oh, I forgot to mention from about Mid October until late May it rains nearly every day. And even on the days it doesn't rain it is cloudy.

The weather was very nice and yes we did have a great trip. I could definitely see myself enjoying that area. My MIL absolutely loves it.

I have a real good idea of where you guys are at now. Always neat to see how others farm and ranch and the country they do it in.

I'm about 2 1/2 hours NE of the Tri-Cities, have worked along the Columbia River on I-84 and may go back there after graduation. I drift around WA, OR and ID quite a bit between dog shows and work. There's certainly some diverse country in there.

Definitely agree about being neat to see how others farm/ranch - I was in Kansas last few weeks of June and that's certainly different from the PNW.

I'm about 4 hours north of seattle... Cactus grow here, 12" of rain is a wet year.. temps from -10F to 100F, currently about 85. Elevation is 1000ft, can get up to 8000ft on the bike in about an hour... Ocean and whistler ski resort is 2 hours away. The pride of vancouver is you can golf, ski and surf in the same day.

Deepsouth":3nj5wyte said:
Since we have you Pacific northwest folks attention I have a question. Is that sasquatch critter real?

I can't answer you for sure, I really don't know! I'm just unsure! But as I said in an early post about Bigfoot, the critter not the poster, I do keep a unicorn in my pasture just in case I need help with one! :mrgreen:

My last place was not all that far from there either. I was in Yoncalla OR. Just a speck on the map.
What amazed me was every little plot of ground was hayed. Even just a couple of acres.
I think part of the cleanliness in OR was that our dump was free! No need for people to dump stuff on the side of the road. Here in CA it costs a fortune to dump.
They also keep up the roads much nicer there.
I really hated to sell my place in OR :(
I made the trip to the Redwoods also. Beautiful!

Deepsouth":1nk0l0uh said:
Since we have you Pacific northwest folks attention I have a question. Is that sasquatch critter real?
Yes, Sasquatch does exist! I did some Bigfoot research and they had supposedly been spotted on or very near my land. :shock:
But I have a nephew that used to log, and he has had some pretty convincing experiences with sightings and odors. :p

branguscowgirl":32vxj4qi said:
Deepsouth":32vxj4qi said:
Yes, Sasquatch does exist! I did some Bigfoot research and they had supposedly been spotted on or very near my land. :shock:
But I have a nephew that used to log, and he has had some pretty convincing experiences with sightings and odors. :p

Come on now Branguscowgirl, I've had some pretty convincing experiences with sightings and odors myself :shock: but that don't mean Bigfoot real. :mrgreen:

Deepsouth":1pray5f5 said:
branguscowgirl":1pray5f5 said:
Deepsouth":1pray5f5 said:

Come on now Branguscowgirl, I've had some pretty convincing experiences with sightings and odors myself :shock: but that don't mean Bigfoot real. :mrgreen:
I am sure you have! :lol: I don't see why he can't be real......just watched a program on some killings in a very remote area in Russia that took place in the 60s. Still unsolved, but the files and photos were reopened and released to investigators again. There was very compelling evidence of a Yeti killing them. :hide:

Deepsouth":1fitts0u said:

My kids bought me a souvenir bumpersticker, "I'm Pro Sasquatch, and I VOTE!". I awoke to that on my car yesterday morning.

We looked an awful lot for one but never caught a glimpse.

In Skamania County which runs from the Columbia Gorge north to Mt St Helen and Mt Adams, it is against the law to shoot a Sasquatch. This area which is almost entirely timber is known as Sasquatch central. Now I have never seen one or sign of one in 20 years of felling timber and 50 years of hunting. But I know some pretty good outdoorsmen who claim they have. On the other hand in an area that is full of bears I am yet to see a bear while hunting. So could Sasquatch be avoiding me? Bears seem to be.

Dave":24e37clz said:
In Skamania County which runs from the Columbia Gorge north to Mt St Helen and Mt Adams, it is against the law to shoot a Sasquatch. This area which is almost entirely timber is known as Sasquatch central. Now I have never seen one or sign of one in 20 years of felling timber and 50 years of hunting. But I know some pretty good outdoorsmen who claim they have. On the other hand in an area that is full of bears I am yet to see a bear while hunting. So could Sasquatch be avoiding me? Bears seem to be.

It could be those strange odors Dave :lol2:

My thoughts are if BF was real one of the millions of cell phone cameras or game cameras would have snapped a pic by now ....... Although ...... There were these three guys riding in on horse back, back in the 60's and just happened to have a movie camera and.....

Dave it must be somthing your doing or not doing :shock: You spend and have spent, no doubt, much more times in the woods than me and I have spent lots and lots of time I the woods in my years. Black bears I don't see often but I have seen a few ...... And more than a few raiding public campgrounds. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts