PA Fortitude 2500

Help Support CattleToday:

VaCowman

Reaction score
Does anybody have any updates on this bull? I'm particularly interested in his females. His milk epd looks a little drier than I like to use, but that is the only epd that doesn't work for me. Does anybody have any wet cows? Better yet, pics? If you have experience using this bull, what were your results? Please include any information on the cow (or type) that you used him on to get the results you did. Would you use him again?

MY BEST FEMALES are from him. I believe they exemplify exactly what a female should look like. I want a whole herd of them.

I don't have any pics on me but you can go to Dodds Cattle on Facebook and peruse thru my pics and find a few. My favorite is actually a grand-daughter of his. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...YTxc5ksFnf1q8CpFgiYca2S/3dNz2WqMsHDdliqiTvgU=

I used Treasure on him and have loved the calves. For what it is worth, her calf looked so good, ST Genetics asked if they could use video of her to promote Treasure (calfs sire).

I used Fortitude a few times and liked the results. But I got all bull calves that became steers. Don't have any experience with his females, but I have heard good things from others. Always thought Fortitude was an under-utilized bull that Genex could have promoted better. Think he works best in commercial herds.

Thanks NE and Luck

NE, the Fortitude daughters, how do they milk for you. I know NE and VA are two different regions of the US, but to me, a 16 milk epd is a little low...I like milk epd's between 20-25, prefer 22-25. 16 epd vs. 20 may be splitting hairs, but I am afraid he'd knock too much milk out of my cows. For the most part, I think they are at optimum levels now. Been using 20-25 rule for milk for a while. Thanks again to you both for your responses.

VaCowman said:
Thanks NE and Luck

NE, the Fortitude daughters, how do they milk for you. I know NE and VA are two different regions of the US, but to me, a 16 milk epd is a little low...I like milk epd's between 20-25, prefer 22-25. 16 epd vs. 20 may be splitting hairs, but I am afraid he'd knock too much milk out of my cows. For the most part, I think they are at optimum levels now. Been using 20-25 rule for milk for a while. Thanks again to you both for your responses.

Milk has been a concern but they've been weaning calfs well. My wean ratios are 101-107 on PA Fortitude daughter/granddaughters... I have two granddaughters that are virgin heifers. So no data there, obviously. The 101 Wean Ratio is off a first calf heifer. I would not be scared to use Fortitude in regards to milk.

It is much like Treasure. I spoke with Tiedman on his treasures the other day (they are wet) and he's getting good results off them also. Totally diff pedigree but this milk EPD isn't correlating real well with what we're seeing.

NEFarmwife said:
VaCowman said:
Thanks NE and Luck

Milk has been a concern but they've been weaning calfs well. My wean ratios are 101-107 on PA Fortitude daughter/granddaughters... I have two granddaughters that are virgin heifers. So no data there, obviously. The 101 Wean Ratio is off a first calf heifer. I would not be scared to use Fortitude in regards to milk.

It is much like Treasure. I spoke with Tiedman on his treasures the other day (they are wet) and he's getting good results off them also. Totally diff pedigree but this milk EPD isn't correlating real well with what we're seeing.

Thanks! Fortitude appears to get getting it done in NE. I looked up Treasure after you said you were using him over Fortitude and liking those calves. Again, his milk epd had me wondering how that could work. I know epd's aren't 100%, but I think they are a good guide to help predict what the next round of calves could bring to the table. Thanks again for your response.

This is an old post, but this bull is one of the top feed efficient Angus bulls in the breed.
RADG in the top 20% and DMI in the top 10%

Latest posts