P.T.O. not engaging

Help Support CattleToday:

Redman

Reaction score
Our ford 6610 runs well with no load or an empty hay-baler. However, if I turn off the P.T.O. to turn around at the end of row with a partial bale in the baler, I cannot get the P.T.O. to start turning again. If I release the hay-bale, it will start turning again. On ocasion, I will be able to disconnect the baler's drive-shaft, engage the P.T.O. for a few seconds and then turn it off, reconnect the drive-shaft and reengaged the P.T.O. then the baler will run. I took it to the tractor mechanic and they changed the fluid, filter, and cleaned off the screans. When they cleaned off the screans they found a fair amount of metal shavings. The clutch for the P.T.O. was inspected and was found in good condition. They also increased the pressure to something that engages the P.T.O.
Do you have any suggestions?
P.S. if I decrease the throttle so that the R.P.M. drop below a certain point with hay in the baler, the P.T.O. will slow down and eventually stall out.

I have been awful busy lately did finish bailing what i had cut.The pto.did stay in gear all the time unless I lowerd the rpms once to go out a gate an went out of gear with leaver still engaged could not get to reengage until got bail out an restarted fine when empty .We will get a new pump next week .Thanks for all the help !! Redman

Our tractor has been shop again the shaft in pump broke after about 2hrs of cuting hay, suppose to get it back soon . The problem i have is the new pump is coming same manufacture and same lot as the one that just failed it is new holand /ford import part.

Latest posts