P and Z

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
Have any of you any experience with planning and zoning in your county? It is being debated here. All our neighboring counties have fairly strict P and Z and we are getting lots of development no one else wants, driving up taxes to run water lines, rebuild county roads, and build new schools for all the new kids,
I have an instinctive dislike for too much regulation but feel something does need to be done. Any ideas?

Get involved and work to keep your land agricultural! So there will be crops planted and not houses! Michigan is loosing its farm land at an alarming rate.

Sugar Creek":3qz828z0 said:
Have any of you any experience with planning and zoning in your county? It is being debated here. All our neighboring counties have fairly strict P and Z and we are getting lots of development no one else wants, driving up taxes to run water lines, rebuild county roads, and build new schools for all the new kids,
I have an instinctive dislike for too much regulation but feel something does need to be done. Any ideas?
Strength in numbers does help. We are fighting tooth and nail against a Natural Gas Transmission Line, that we cant even tap into, that they want to put right through our Farms.We dont know if we can beat em' but we're giving em' hell. You have to speak up and let your voice be heard. I'm totally against rural sprawl, if I can speak my opinion, they'll hear it.

I guess I'll take the opposite side of the fence. I am for free enterprise. If you don't want someone building there then buy it. I don't however think that the gas company should be able to condemn your land and get a right of way. They should have to go around. If they want to put it there and you don't want it there they can buy that as well.

We're having to sell some land for a freeway project...only a corner acre but trying to get a good price since our access will be changes and alot of other little issues. The right of way folks think because we zoned agricultural they can steal a measly 43,000 sqft. Off the soap box....DMc

ollie'":w1qyr8i3 said:
I guess I'll take the opposite side of the fence. I am for free enterprise. If you don't want someone building there then buy it. I don't however think that the gas company should be able to condemn your land and get a right of way. They should have to go around. If they want to put it there and you don't want it there they can buy that as well.
This Gas line is running all the way from Chicago, to Hartsville,TN. I believe they've already got to the right people's corrupt pockets.They'll probably take the R.O.W. with eminent domain. I'm for free enterprise too, but some people dont have the resources to buy up everything around them. We've been fortunate to play a chess game and buy adjoining lands.All we want to do is preserve our way of life.

We have it hard here with the PandZ board. I have 22 acres that cant be used for much other than to live on. Well I decided I was going to spilt it up into 2 acre lots and rent them out for mobile home lots. I am not talking trailer park here. I would only rent out to folks with nice doublewides. All people that connect with this land live in mobile homes and some of those are falling down. Well the P and Z brd will not let me. I can only have one lot there.

Forgive me if I am wrong but that check I just send the tax commissioner came out of my pocket and I feel like If I pay the taxes I darn well should be able to do what I want with my land.

They have a 5 Acre minimum for a single wide trailer, and one Acre minimum for a double wide. Both must be on a Block/ Brick Foundation. If I had it my way, there would be a 500 Acre minimum on all of them. I'm not trying to step on anyone's boots here, but the average trailer you'll see around here, is not fit for target practice. Seems they have about a 15 year shelf life.And people that have em' look like they run a boarding house with a dozen vehicles parked out in front. Some counties here have just about restricted them out totally.We have some of the prettiest Country you'll ever see, and I'm tired of seeing it ruined and trashed. Sometimes the Planning and Zoning folks aint that bad.Depends on the situation.