oxytetracycline dosage

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
In the case of treatment for severe foot rot, (using oxtetracycline 200mg/mL) with an 1100lb cow who can be caught and given an injection with relative ease every day, would it be more effective to treat her every day with a lower dose (bottle says 5mg/1lb/day), or to treat her with a single dose of 9mg/1lb? That would be a daily dose of 27.5cc vs a single dose of 49.5cc, if I've done the math right.

If you were to do the every day treatment (bottle says no more than 4 consecutive days), if you don't see an improvement by the end of the four days, how many days do you wait before giving her another injection?

If you were to do the single-dose treatment, how long do you wait before you decide 'it's not working' and give a second dose?

And, if you decide it is working, how long do you continue treating her? Up to the point where she's walking sound again might be a long time...

Thanks!

We do one treatment at 5 ml per 100 lbs. After 3-4 days if she hasn't completely recovered or isn't still getting better we hit her again. Only had to do that once with one cow.

dun

We used 5ml per 100 pounds, and retreated in 72 hours, if still symptomatic. Now use Tetradur (4.5 to 5 ml per 100 pounds) and can retreat in 6 to 8 days if needed; hasn't been needed yet.

Alright, I'll give that dosage a try and hopefully it will only be needed once. =) Thanks for the replies.

Oxy Tet is usually considered to last three days where as penecillin needs to be given daily. I think the full dose every three day will be much more effective than a small dose daily. Small doses just give the infection an opportunity to build up resistance.

I've had pretty good luck using sulfa boluses. I've read the best treatment is a combination of Oxy Tet and the sulfa drugs. The sulfa drug are more of a pain to use since you have to cram them down the cow every day and get snought all over you but I've had good luck with them. They also work good for scours in baby calves (the little boluses).

Last time I had a foot rot case we also gave some sulfur boluses(my vet did ). He said jsut another way to help out. Seemed to work better than just the shot alone.

Scotty

Have a lot of yall had trouble with foot rot this year? I've been expecting it to crop up as wet as it has stayed, but the cows are weathering it pretty well.

JB

Why not just use the water solubale kind that's meant to be put in the water and ingested that way?

dun

In our case. our cattle drink from free flowing streams and springs... many of them around here...........I was just kinda thinking out loud is all......and during the summer we could pen them up, but our 'still' water freezes within a short period of time these days.

I have also sprinkled small amounts of the powdered (supposed to be disolved in water) stuff in their grain. But it only works if you can control who is getting how much grain.

dun

If you already feed a grain to your cattle, the feed store should have Aeromyacin (sp?) It is a medicated "crumbles" feed addition that you mix in with your feed. I you purchase mixed feed, the mill can mix it right in for you.
Most feedlots have it in the arrival pens feed formula as preventative medicine.
Also, if you are feeding loose mineral, you can add iodine in the ration to help with footrot & pinkeye. My husband is our "home vet" so I'm not sure what it does, but I have read it also.

Latest posts