Ox?

Help Support CattleToday:

That one is using the trick of the oxen being closer ot the camera than the man... Not saying that the oxen aren't big but the way the photo is set up gives the illusion of them being much bigger...

I have seen some Devon Oxen and a holstein team... Something to behold really.

IL Rancher":3e50s4zv said:
That one is using the trick of the oxen being closer ot the camera than the man... Not saying that the oxen aren't big but the way the photo is set up gives the illusion of them being much bigger...

well I know the man is farther back...but move him up and try to imagine how tall he would be standing beside the oxen...they are still huge if its a real picture

Originally the term 'ox' referred to any member of the bovine family, much as today we use the generic term 'cattle' or even 'cow' regardless of gender. 'Kine' was commonly used among the Scots, etc.

A steer was a male castrated while still young. 'Bullocks', except for Sandra, were the same. It is all a matter of different words having different linguistic origins as when we raise pigs but eat pork.

Males castrated after full maturity were referred to as 'stags'.

IL Rancher":39155dab said:

it looks like the shadows disagree.

Heritage_Farmboy":wbq476v9 said:
large_ox.jpg

Found that picture on the internet since we was looking at them big Chi's...if the picture is real then them are son big ol boys...also saw another article about an ox named Brother Johnathen that weighed 4,000 pounds...but since I aint never seen the oxen in person...its hard for me to believe it :roll:

From what I can find in researching this, these oxen are the real deal.

Alice

Google the internet for "Old Ben" He is reportedly the largest cattle critter on record. He weighed 4,720 pounds when he had to be destroyed at age eight after slipping on the ice and breaking two legs. He is stuffed and mounted in a museum in Kokomo, Indiana.

Just as incredible is the world's largest hog "Big Bill" from Tennessee that weighed 2,552 pounds.

BAGTIC":20m5ie3l said:
Just as incredible is the world's largest hog "Big Bill" from Tennessee that weighed 2,552 pounds.

Whoa! I gotta google that one!

Alice

BAGTIC":356yycsy said:
Google the internet for "Old Ben" He is reportedly the largest cattle critter on record. He weighed 4,720 pounds when he had to be destroyed at age eight after slipping on the ice and breaking two legs. He is stuffed and mounted in a museum in Kokomo, Indiana.

I researched "Old Ben" a little bit and it said he was 6'4 tall and 16' long :shock:

A freakin' pig?!!?! A freakin' pig stood 6'4? :shock:

I was just trying to find a picture of him...I didn't have time to read everything about him. Thanks Heritage...

6'4...a pig...6'4...whoa!

Alice

Alice":3peq637g said:
A freakin' pig?!!?! A freakin' pig stood 6'4? :shock:

I was just trying to find a picture of him...I didn't have time to read everything about him. Thanks Heritage...

6'4...a pig...6'4...whoa!

Alice

noooo Alice :lol: ...I was talking about the ox :D ...sorry for the misunderstanding :lol: :D

Ok, my bad...no misunderstanding on your part...I just re-read. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Alice

Dang - I bet I have one that would compete - we have a 10 year old braford steer with quite a set of horns on him running around. He is pretty gentle when you have some hay but he has a real bad case of claustraphbia and will not stay behind a closed gate - and he can fly!

I had some recent photos of him, but my computer died and I lost stuff from January on. I will try to get some more of him. He is pretty impressive.

Hippie Rancher":ufubcvvd said:
we have a 10 year old braford steer with quite a set of horns on him running around.

Hippie, If he's 10 years old, I don't think he's called a steer. Least not by the way we were taught. Why would you keep him that long? Were you going to use him to pull a cart in a parade or sometrhing?

backhoeboogie wrote
Hippie, If he's 10 years old, I don't think he's called a steer. Least not by the way we were taught. Why would you keep him that long? Were you going to use him to pull a cart in a parade or sometrhing?

Well he was cut, what should I call him? (we call him the Monster) Keep him for several reasons - he got a way a couple of times and is spoiled. He actually drives fine - like an old lead _______ (steer? - that's all I know) but you can not shut a gate on him. He will need to either die here or be roped and dragged into a trailer and he has been around so long now...sort of a pet? The last time we thought about shipping him, a cousin of mine was out to help gather some other rough stuff and even he couldn't do it - you know? I don't mean wasn't capable, I mean wouldn't do it - he is just too Magnificent. Wait till I get another shot of him in the next week or so. You will see what I mean.

Oh and my Grandfather kept an old blue Longhorn steer around for years and years. Same cousin was involved in finally shipping him and we all regretted doing it - that plays into things as well.

Latest posts