Ox?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is still such a thing as an ox?
A guy at school to me that an ox is any castrated bull, I was wondering if this is true?

By the way, what is the difference between a bull thats been "castrated" vs a bull thats been "clipped"?

Hillary_Indiana":174gv562 said:
A guy at school to me that an ox is any castrated bull, I was wondering if this is true?

By the way, what is the difference between a bull thats been "castrated" vs a bull thats been "clipped"?

A casterated bull is a steer. Not sure what you mean by clipped.
Some gomer bulls (bulls used for heat detection) are given a vasectomy and/or have their sheath stiched to the side so their penis extends to the side to keep them from breeding.

There are some breeds of cattle that were used for draft. Not sure if they called them an ox though. I guess I always thought that an ox was a little different than cattle.

where i am from, a clipped bull means he has had all of his hair cut off (usually for a sale).

teletigger":3jhdynjn said:
Jeepers....I was impressed with the charolais Oxen....then I saw the chianana oxen :shock: :shock: Unless the stockman is 3ft tall, those are BIG!!
regards

chianinab.jpg

that is scary

jnowack":1rmqov51 said:
Do they operate by voice commands? tap with a stick?

Well trained oxen work from voice or visual cues such as pointing with a stick (goad). Occasioanlly they might need a light reminder, a tap or poke.

dun

I wonder how many horsepower those two would be?
And would they be considered 4X4's?
He's set up for power pulling for sure.

jnowack":f1gvcfp1 said:
Do they operate by voice commands? tap with a stick?

they operate however you teach them to...if you teach them to operate with a tap from a stick...they'll operate from a tap from a stick...if you teach them to operate by voice commands...they'll operate by voice commands...you have to teach them the commands...whichever command you prefer is what you teach them...and thats how they operate...my grandfather had a few oxen a lot time ago and he operated them with a tap with a stick...he wanted them to go left...he'd tap one of them on the left leg...going right would be a tap on the right leg...stop would be a tap on the brisket

Its all about what you teach them to do...they are clueless to any commands at first until you work with them and teach them what you want

Hillary_Indiana":33dsk930 said:

I agree with him. So does the dictionary. Most bovines used as beasts of burden are water buffalo these days. However, any castrated adult bovine is an ox. Much like heifer/cow you have steer/ox. There are regional folks who disagree about both. They have terms like "second calf heifer" which makes no sense to my hard head.

Most steers these days don't live long enough to become oxen. Just as few folks use mules to plow, few, if any folks, use oxen as beasts of burden in the USA.

backhoeboogie":331fim4j said:
Hillary_Indiana":331fim4j said:

I agree with him. So does the dictionary. Most bovines used as beasts of burden are water buffalo these days. However, any castrated adult bovine is an ox. Much like heifer/cow you have steer/ox. There are regional folks who disagree about both. They have terms like "second calf heifer" which makes no sense to my hard head.

Most steers these days don't live long enough to become oxen. Just as few folks use mules to plow, few, if any folks, use oxen as beasts of burden in the USA.

And in Australia they still use bulls. There they are called bullocks.

dun

backhoeboogie":2kj5q2d0 said:

If fuel prices keep going up, mules and oxen might just make a comeback on small homesteads. Over the years, I have bumped into oxen pulling parade wagons or plowing fields in gardens. There are not that many out there....but they are not extinct. My Grandfather was not convinced the tractor was the way of the future in the 40s so he kept all his ox drawn gear. If all HELL breaks lose and I can't get fuel any more in some post apocalyptic future, I still have a plow, two sets of disks, ground driven hay mower, spike tooth harrow and a couple of hay rakes so I am still in business......IF I can figure out how you would train a couple of steers to do this for a living.

Brandonm2":ag8426sg said:
backhoeboogie":ag8426sg said:

If fuel prices keep going up, mules and oxen might just make a comeback on small homesteads. Over the years, I have bumped into oxen pulling parade wagons or plowing fields in gardens. There are not that many out there....but they are not extinct. My Grandfather was not convinced the tractor was the way of the future in the 40s so he kept all his ox drawn gear. If all be nice breaks lose and I can't get fuel any more in some post apocalyptic future, I still have a plow, two sets of disks, ground driven hay mower, spike tooth harrow and a couple of hay rakes so I am still in business......IF I can figure out how you would train a couple of steers to do this for a living.

well if that ever happens then PM me...i'll sell you a few draft horses that are already trained :D ...I guess im a step ahead of some people in the "post apocalyptic future" :lol: ...i've never actually used oxen although I used to help my grandfather with his oxen when I was a kid...i've always used mules and draft horses...they work just fine for me :)

Sounds good, but if things get so bad that I can't buy, find, steal, or brew fifteen gallons of diesal or soydiesal, I will bet I am not getting or sending any emails either.

You think that picture is real? Dang that is HUGE! He must be a tiny man.......

Does anyone have buffalos? Or beefalos? Ive often considered if that would be worth gettin in to. ?

RebelCritter":1dsie55h said:
You think that picture is real? Dang that is HUGE! He must be a tiny man.......

Does anyone have buffalos? Or beefalos? Ive often considered if that would be worth gettin in to. ?
I don't believe it. If I was to see it in person I still wouldn't believe it.

That picture has been around a while. I believe I saw it in Chianina pages on the web. I am pretty sure those are Chi's. They are indeed big and it could be a mock job even on the Chi pages, if that is where I saw it. Chi's are indeed huge animals.

large_ox.jpg

Found that picture on the internet since we was looking at them big Chi's...if the picture is real then them are son big ol boys...also saw another article about an ox named Brother Johnathen that weighed 4,000 pounds...but since I aint never seen the oxen in person...its hard for me to believe it :roll:

Latest posts