Overseeding pearl millet

Help Support CattleToday:

Creeksidelc

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to get a stand of pearl millet of Milo going this year but currently don't have a tractor to disk it in. I'm located in central Texas. Would it be a total waste to overseed 5 acres of millet or Sudan this month into native grass pasture? Anyone tried this? I understand the stand wouldn't be as good as a prepared seed bed or drilling it but would it likely be at least decent? I'm looking for late summer grazing from it. Thanks.

When I bought this farm Foxtail was everywhere. I unknowingly tried to make some kind of forage out of it and it was a joke. Today it's hard to find. It just couldn't stand up to to the rigors of annual forages used for grazing and hay. On perennials (Coastal), it just squeezed it out. Good riddance.

A good usage for it would be cover crop, but it grows in the warm climate, not over the winter.

My 2c and experience.

Creeksidelc":3cgc9zfl said:
Hi, I would like to get a stand of pearl millet of Milo going this year but currently don't have a tractor to disk it in. I'm located in central Texas. Would it be a total waste to overseed 5 acres of millet or Sudan this month into native grass pasture? Anyone tried this? I understand the stand wouldn't be as good as a prepared seed bed or drilling it but would it likely be at least decent? I'm looking for late summer grazing from it. Thanks.

Don't.. I'm in central Texas and have tried it. Even with prepared ground I wouldn't use millet. Where are you located. I might be able to get you with someone who could help you out.

The only place I've ever got P. millet to grow without drilling or a prepared bed was under a bird feeder in the front yard where the birds kicked it out.

Thanks for the replies! I wont be wasting the money on seed. Maybe next year will try some redtop or Sudan when I can disk it in.

Latest posts