overdue heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeviewwalker

Reaction score
I was wondering how long over due some of your heifers have gone I have one that is over due wondering when its going to happen she definitely looks ready

2 weeks before till 2 weeks after are all considered in the range of normal

1) Was she bred artificially or naturally?

2) Are you 100% sure of the breeding date?

3) If she is quiet and you have help, put a halter and stabilise the hind end. Wash the hind end with clean water and some mild soap. Put a rectal glove and have a feel (through the vagina) to see if everything feels normal, do not rupture the membranes around the calf (Is the calf moving? Can you id two legs and a head or two legs and tail?)

4) If you are unsure about #3 or the membranes rupture and you do not know what to do, call a vet.

5) If you cannot feel the calf, the cervix may still be closed or it may be a uterine torsion, call a vet.

Q: Why stick a hand in a heifer that has no problem or signs of calving?

A: Good question. When performing an intervention, the goal is first and foremost to cause no greater harm.

The initial poster indicated that the heifer was overdue, the second poster rightly pointed out that up to 2 weeks after the due date may be normal. However, you have to keep in mind that towards the end of gestation, the longer you wait, the larger your calf will be. Since this is a heifer, you may end up having a tight calving if you wait too long.

1) Sticking your hand inside may actually accelerate thing and provoke labour (if it is around the predicted date of calving, the calf will be sufficiently mature and the intervention should not be a problem).

2) To make sure the calf is alive.

3) To make sure the presentation is normal. If there is an abnormal presentation (can't feel a head, can't feel a leg or there are too many legs) the earlier you know, the better the chances of getting a live calf (or calves).

4) And the most important point is to detect a possible uterine torsion.
In the case of a uterine torsion, the initial outward signs may be normal. Because there is a twist, the blood flow to the uterus is compromised and the more time passes, the lesser the chances of saving either the calf or the dam. Some animals even keep on acting as if everything is fine even though the uterus has become non viable. And unfortunately, in the majority of the cases, by the time the vet is called, the calf is already dead. In some cases, the calf must be extracted by C-section. So the owner ends up with a dead calf, a vet bill and possibly a dam to euthanize if the uterus is non viable.

A vaginal exam is relatively safe (when the hind end is washed with clean water and mild soap) and may save you lots of money.

I've had heifers go up to about 290 days.. had a second calver this year go 302 days, which is the longest I've ever seen.

I think most people will do a rectal exam.

Nesi is exactly right. "Most people would do a rectal exam." ( If needed.)

Koffi, you are telling someone to perform a vaginal exam on a heifer, when they may or may not even know what to feel for, or how to prevent injury! And yes, they could cause infection and/or injury if they do not know what they are doing!
Heck, you don't even know it the heifer is but just one day over due! :bang:

Latest posts