Over Conditioning

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I moved 2 over-conditioned cows to a retaining pen near the handling facility. It is perhaps a futile effort because the retaining pen has good grass. The pen is perhaps an acre and a half.

This cow is due in late October to HPF Optimizer. She is one of the most over conditioned. I am hoping the limited access to forage will limit calf growth. Given the grass in the pen, I am debating if she would be better left in the pasture where she would get more exercise.
30vkidk.jpg

5bpwya.jpg

Bright Raven":384sz535 said:
M-5":384sz535 said:
she will be fine as long as you keep that sack closed

Would you leave her out with the herd or keep her in the pen until calving?

personally , I have never penned one to calve. I don't know why anyone would do that unless you are expecting complications. Your there all the time so keeping an eye on her should not be an issue. and I would think she would be more comfortable with her own kind.

M-5":2hhax00g said:
Bright Raven":2hhax00g said:
M-5":2hhax00g said:
she will be fine as long as you keep that sack closed

Would you leave her out with the herd or keep her in the pen until calving?

personally , I have never penned one to calve. I don't know why anyone would do that unless you are expecting complications. Your there all the time so keeping an eye on her should not be an issue. and I would think she would be more comfortable with her own kind.

Thanks. I was thinking in terms of limiting access to grass. My pastures have never been this good. We had 7 1/2 inches of rain in July. I clip my pasture on a regular basis so the growth stays fresh. The diversity is excellent: grasses and legumes.

Ron, I suspect the grass is not the issue , You have admitted several time that the girls get treats everyday. Close up the feed sack and let them do what comes natural. Just imagine you yourself eating 3 meals a day and then every night sitting down and eating a 1/2gal of bluebell. wouldn't take long to be "overconditioned"

M-5":27gtgiy7 said:
Ron, I suspect the grass is not the issue , You have admitted several time that the girls get treats everyday. Close up the feed sack and let them do what comes natural. Just imagine you yourself eating 3 meals a day and then every night sitting down and eating a 1/2gal of bluebell. wouldn't take long to be "overconditioned"

I did supplement feeding this winter when they were on hay. They have not had a coffee cup of feed since March 1. But they did come out of winter over-conditioned. It is obviously accumulating on them.

True Grit Farms":147ezc9p said:
That's sure a nice problem to have. We finally have more grass than the half of the herd that I kept can eat.

I am not complaining. I just left Lowes in Maysville. The lady who checked me out knows me. She ask about my cows while she was checking out the man in front of me. I was telling her I have never seen pasture this good at the first of August. The guy in front of me joined in. He said his pasture seems like it grows an inch a night. He said his cows are fat and slick.

It is weird. Pasture was slow in the spring and took off as summer came on. It has been generally hot but there have been several cold fronts that brought rain and cooled things off. I think that has accelerated grass and legume growth.

Same here bright raven. You are pretty close to me. Use to drive to spurlock station every day

I'd leave the pair penned for a few weeks to keep it mowed and you can always move 'em back with the others.
Maybe buy a pair of feeder steers, since you've got the extra grass for selling some grass fed freezer beef.

Dogs and Cows":h20ztfay said:
Isn't Kentucky known for good grass??? We have had no rain in a month...and the pastures are crunchy...I have lots of grass, it is just rank. I'd let her run with the others Ron.

Tim

Tim,

I think our grass in this area is very nutritious. Unless the pasture is over stocked, cattle here carry a lot of condition just eating forage. The Bluegrass and outer Bluegrass which is the physiographic area I fall in, are both known for good soils. That is why the thorobreds do so well here.

Is that a heifer Ron? How long do you leave the calves on them? I would think the longer the better to put a bit of a check on them in your situation.

Ken

wbvs58":37c61ohp said:
Is that a heifer Ron? How long do you leave the calves on them? I would think the longer the better to put a bit of a check on them in your situation.

Ken

I can see why you ask if she is a heifer by her udder. NO. This will be her third calf. My cows are now all fall calvers. They were weaned at 6 months. I like to get them weaned and on feed so I can take the bulls to Fire Sweep by June so she can finish them.

Ohhh, baby's got back! And yet some cows are just fat. My Steamroller was a chunk when we got her 9 years ago and now clocks in at well over 2000 lbs. Doesn't matter if she's penned or grazing, she doesn't walk it off and she's raised huge calves but never draws down. BTW, fat as she is she breeds like clockwork.

TCRanch":1cutqxvt said:
Ohhh, baby's got back! And yet some cows are just fat. My Steamroller was a chunk when we got her 9 years ago and now clocks in at well over 2000 lbs. Doesn't matter if she's penned or grazing, she doesnj't walk it off and she's raised huge calves but never draws down. BTW, fat as she is she breeds like clockwork.

That is encouraging. So far all is going well even the ones over conditioned.

Latest posts