Out of Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Hayes' Farms

Reaction score
Hi every one I am new to the site, I am a 23 year old begining farmer,I have lived on a farm my whole life, but I have never seen Dad or Grandpa, feed hay this early in the year. My question is this.

Dried Distilers Grain + Hay
Soy Hulls + Hay
Corn Gluten Feed + Hay

I have 35 Angus first calf heifers with a calf at side averaging 400lbs. What is the best, and how many lbs. per head per day, will replace pasture?

I would go with either ddg & hay or cgf & hay as the soyhulls are considerably lower in protein than ddg or cgf.

The ddg will be higher in protein & energy than the cgf, therefore ddg will be worth more.

Depending on the amount of hay fed & bcs of the cows, I'd say 3-5 lb ddg/day or 5-7 lb cgf/day. If you are really short of hay add 3-5 lb of soy hulls to the other feed. They are all good feeds, so it is just a matter of cost per unit of protein & tdn.

Feed more if they are thin or need to grow more.

If possible consult a nutritionist as they can better advise what is the most economical for your situation. Preferably one that is not employed by a feed mfg.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Test your hay! Do not pay for protein you do not need.
Do you have stalks you can use to supplement?

From most feed supply stores you can buy protien lick stations if I rember right from a couple of years ago the station was around $250 and the protein was $200 per fill the station was just a large tubb with 4 wheels in it for the licking with 35 head on it you will need to fill it about once a month. We used this a few summers ago and as long as you kept some hay in the pasture with the lick station the cattle did just fine the lick has a self limiter in it so they don't get more than they need. It may be more cost effective for your area I don't know what your feed cost you but it is another option you my want to consider.

The first thing would be to wein or to sell the 400 lb calves. At this time of year and your pasture conditions all they are donig is pulling your cows down. You need to have them in good shape to go into winter. To do that they need their protein and roughage requirements.

Like Chris said you should have the hay tested. If the cow's are in good condition than hay and mineral might be all you need. If your hay test out good all those other will do is put fat on the cows. If not maybe you will have to use them. Have you thought of protien tubs; they should be cheaper by the pound per head and povide the protien that your hay may be is lacking. What kind of hay?

I think you should wein even if they only weigh 400 you will only be hurting you cows. Like they said test your hay I think you will be supprised at what your hay has by it's self I would also feed loomix it is about .25 hd/day it is made to strech hay.

Chris H":1m7eyg5h said:

I agree. There is no way to know how much protein to supplement with unless you know how much is in your hay.
You can watch the condition of their stools and estimate weather you are feeding to much or not enough.

Angus/Brangus":11nag6hq said:
novatech":11nag6hq said:
Chris H":11nag6hq said:

I agree. There is no way to know how much protein to supplement with unless you know how much is in your hay.
You can watch the condition of their stools and estimate weather you are feeding to much or not enough.

What were the results of your hay test NovaTech???
The results are:
They eat it.
They poop it out.
It stacks up high.
Results: it is very low it nutrition (filler) and I need to supplement with protein.

Seeing that you are in Kentucky, you're probably in the same boat we are. The issue with your hay is quantity, not quality. While testing is a good idea, I'm sure you are just trying to stretch your hay to get through the winter. I'm feeding corn gluten/soy hull pellets mixed 50/50 at 5lbs./head/day. I'm also creeping calves on the same ration so they can get their share without fighting with the cows.

Alot of the time it is not lack of fiber but lack of rumen microbes to digest the fiber. I bet if you sent a sample in to a lab you would be suprised at the quality of you grass. But then you are in a diffrent part of the country so I may be wrong.

loomis":s01m8ll4 said:
I think you should wein even if they only weigh 400 you will only be hurting you cows. Like they said test your hay I think you will be supprised at what your hay has by it's self I would also feed loomix it is about .25 hd/day it is made to strech hay.

Loomis was it you that said you had fed 100's of cornstalk bales by pouring a liquid mix (loomix) on the bales?? I believe, whoever made the post said it would penetrate the bale all the way to the ground.

I feed cattle loomix that are grazing on corn stalks but I have never fed corn stalk bales. I have heard of some people dumping loomix or corn steep on the hay but have never done it myself.

Latest posts