Our Operation past-present

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
It was for the past 3 years not 4(stated in th eother post) that we have been going from calving year round to timing our cattle.

Here is how our operation was ran and how it is being ran. Some of my numbers are exact and some are estimates. Some things in the post some will not agree with.
Any suggestions for the future are welcome.

Thanks BRAFORD

past-2000 Cows calved year round

2001- old cows were sold new herds of cattle were added that calved in a more timely fashion. One herdusually calved in the fall another in the spring but bull was in all year.

08-The two herds got smaller(some older cows sold and some dies of old age) and eventually went to about 20 head who all calved around the same time. Cows were exposed to a bull all year and 30 home raised heifers went with a bull in June. The cows that were exposed to the bull all year would all calf in a 90 day window with a few late or early calvers.

09- We lost some of the older cows in the winter of 08,some was old age and some were from acorns(COws would go down and vomit. the next day the were gone). The old herd went to about 12 head(Gert crosses, black baldies and brangus baldies) bred to our braford cross bull. A set of brangus heifers(some yearlings and some 2 year olds(They were not bred but the deal we got on them was very good(Yearlings 350 a head and the breeding age heifers(17 months and up) 450 a head).)) were added winter of 08. The brangus heifers went with a black angus bull in april-late september. 2 of those were bred and we did not know it one calved the winter of 08 teh other in march.

The bull that went with the 30 head of heifers in 08 turned out to be stunted and bred 11 of my heifers(a handful may have been to young but the majority had been seen cycling). 12 calves were born from march-September from that group. All of our heifers were developed on grass and salt only with an occasional protein tubs none were ever pushed. We sold 5 head of the open heifers for disposition problems or they did not grow well. I bought a red angus plus bull and he was with the cows from march-September. This was the year i decided to go to a timed calving season. Last calve was born august 22. And the red angus plus bull was pulled first week of september.

In November a 12 head of bred herefords(exposed to a bull all year before we purchased) were added and the old cows were sold.

All heifers and cows were bred that year except for a heifer who calved three weeks before I pulled the bull and teh brangus who calved in march who raised 3 calves(one who's mother was struck by lightning and one who just stole milk because his mom did not milk heavy,plus her own calf) I didnt put any of these calves on her she let them nurse on her own. She stayed in good shape but raising 3 calves caused her not to cycle. The heifer that calved 2 weeks before i pulled the bull bred back and another heifer who calved three weeks before i pulled the bull bred back.

10- The herefords started calving in November of 09.The older brangus and the 24 head of homeraised heifers and first calvers started calving in january.
Bulls went out in march. Out of about 50 head 20 had not calved the 1st of march. I had 13 heifers from 09 that they stunted bull did not breed. They calved within the first 3 weeks of march.(The red bull took care of business when those heifers cycled). The younger brangus heifers we bought did not calve until june and a few of the herefords we bought calved during the summer.I left the bulls in with all of the cows until October to give the late calvers a chance to breed back.

The beggining of October we decided to have our cows palpted(We had before we just assumed all the cows were bred). The vet was not our usual vet. Ours did not work on weekends which was the only time we could have about 50 head checked. He called 16 of the cows open. 6 were the first calvers that calved in June. It was very hot last summer(well we thought that until this year) and grass was kind of short and those 6 had trouble keeping up because the were younger.They were not skinny but the ywere not fat either. Some of the other cows he said were open I had seen the bull breed during the summer.

We got 150 rolls of hay that year and you can't feed 50 head of cows plus horses with 150 rolls from November-march with 150 rolls. So we had to sell half of the cows.
The herefords were bought registered and i would be selling them at a loss since the only had one calf so i kept them. I also kept the brangus that raised the best calvers and some of the home raised heifers and cows that raised the best calves. I did not keep based on what he said was open or bred late. I kept based on the cows calf raising ability.
I am glad i kept based on that reason. Som eof the cows that he said were open that i sold were called by teh vet at the sale barn to be 3-4 months bred.
5 cows from the ones i kept were open and they were herefords so i decided to put my angus bull with them in November and pulled him the first of December before calving started.

I kept a few calves from that year(hereford and crossbred) and i had a few other fullblood breeds i had bought that year that i kept .We made it throught the winter.

10/11 calvign season/2011- I had one cow that I bought in 2010 calve in November the rest of the cows started calving 12-30-10.
1 of the cows i kept was called in October by the "bad vet" to be 1 month bred. She calved in January which made her 6 months bred in October. He was 2 months off on some of the cows when i check the date they calved and what he called them in October.

With the exception of the cow that calved in November. I got 15 calves from 12-30-10 to 3-3-11. I had 2 calves born in april the cow i posted last week calved in July and I got a calf from one of the herefords last week meaning my angus bull bred her in November.

In June I had my cows vaccinated for the 1st time. Yes we did not vaccinate our cattle in the past we just dewormed them. We have never had a problem before with our cattle's health that came from diseases, but I knew vaccinating should be done so we started this year. We had our cows palpated by our regular vet.
The majority of the cows and heifers were 3 months bred a few were 1-2 months bred and 5 were open and I had few that were heavier bred. 2 of the cows had had calves about 5 weeks before hand, 2 heifers that the bull was after a week before and I was sorting cows and did not get to tell the vet that they didnt need to be checked. A few cows he called a few weeks bred, wether that is possible to call them that I do not know but he said they were. I pulled the bulls that same week. I should have pulled them before checking but i was confident that my cows had bred back already.

So next year most of my cows and calves will calve in 60 days with a few late ones who will still calve before the bull is put in . The ones that were heavier bred and that have calved or are bagging up now wil be held over. I sold the open cow that should have been bred back and the two heifers. If my cows stay in good conditon and grass is good all of my cows should breed back in 60 days next year.

Our cows are separted into groups. We have 10-15 head in a group in one pasture with a bull in each one. Cows stay in shape and can graze that pasture all year,vs having all our cows together and have to move them every month to a new location. This year we ahd about 4 groups and a bull in each one. 2 groups were for producing commercial calves. One was for produing purebred calves. And the other was for a british white crossbreeding group.

And from this year and in the future all of my cows will be vaccinated :D

More than anything I do not see a goal or a plan to accomplish anything more than trial an error. I see no reason to have such diversification in breeds. If you have a plan as to how to cross them then go for it. If not you need to choose, plan and focus.
I get the feeling you are not around to observe heats and breeding. You need to use a marker or some sort of patch to let you know what is going on when you are not there. Determine a breeding season or 2. Learn the discipline of culling. If they will not breed to fit the breeding season, they go. Fertility is always placed first on the list.

I also am trying to group my cows into regular calving periods. The hardest thing for me to do is be disciplined enough to sell a good momma cow that fits evrything else in my program except when she calves. I took a bite in the be nice on this years calf crop because I kept a few cows that did not calve according to the schedule I wanted. I even had several on here answer me publically and privately and finally got a call from a fella who took his time to mentor me and explain the math behind getting this basic concept through my thick head. Set your goals and make no excuses for cows that don't calve the way you need them too to fit your goals. I would like for my cows to calve out in September and January with a +/- of 15 days either way. That will give me two periods to choose form for replacements and two fairly uniform sets of calves to market. It also gives me the flexibility for pasture that I can split them up if I have some pasture not as good as others based upon their needs for nutrition. All these decisions are based upon my goals which are simply two uniformed calve crops a year with some added flexibility for pasture utilization. Nova is dead right and I remember him giving me that same advice a year or so ago. SET AND DEFINE YOUR GOALS! Hard to get somewhere if you don't know where you wanna go. You probably have set goals for your operation and just haven't defined them in your posts.

hillbillycwo":37358u2b said:
I also am trying to group my cows into regular calving periods. The hardest thing for me to do is be disciplined enough to sell a good momma cow that fits evrything else in my program except when she calves. I took a bite in the be nice on this years calf crop because I kept a few cows that did not calve according to the schedule I wanted. I even had several on here answer me publically and privately and finally got a call from a fella who took his time to mentor me and explain the math behind getting this basic concept through my thick head. Set your goals and make no excuses for cows that don't calve the way you need them too to fit your goals. I would like for my cows to calve out in September and January with a +/- of 15 days either way. That will give me two periods to choose form for replacements and two fairly uniform sets of calves to market. It also gives me the flexibility for pasture that I can split them up if I have some pasture not as good as others based upon their needs for nutrition. All these decisions are based upon my goals which are simply two uniformed calve crops a year with some added flexibility for pasture utilization. Nova is dead right and I remember him giving me that same advice a year or so ago. SET AND DEFINE YOUR GOALS! Hard to get somewhere if you don't know where you wanna go. You probably have set goals for your operation and just haven't defined them in your posts.
Sometimes we give advice based on what we know we do wrong ourselves. :oops: I have been guilty of keeping those otherwise prize cows that were late in breeding. They calved out when the temps dropped to 20 degrees. The end result were calves that were to weak to suck and died. You don't do that with Brahmans. That cost me several thousand dollars. It was flat out a lack of the discipline I advise. I may be a hypocrite but what my intent is, is for you to learn from my experiance not your own.

novatech":24s3px0r said:
More than anything I do not see a goal or a plan to accomplish anything more than trial an error. I see no reason to have such diversification in breeds. If you have a plan as to how to cross them then go for it. If not you need to choose, plan and focus.
I get the feeling you are not around to observe heats and breeding. You need to use a marker or some sort of patch to let you know what is going on when you are not there. Determine a breeding season or 2. Learn the discipline of culling. If they will not breed to fit the breeding season, they go. Fertility is always placed first on the list.

You are correct that has been a big problem is selling a good cow who calved out of season. I have someone who checks on my cattle when I am not there,he may observe a few heats but not a large number of them.

I like a little diversity in my herd,but I match each group of cows up with a bull that will produce what is selling high at my local sale barn.

Sometimes we give advice based on what we know we do wrong ourselves. I have been guilty of keeping those otherwise prize cows that were late in breeding. They calved out when the temps dropped to 20 degrees. The end result were calves that were to weak to suck and died. You don't do that with Brahmans. That cost me several thousand dollars. It was flat out a lack of the discipline I advise. I may be a hypocrite but what my intent is, is for you to learn from my experiance not your own.

That's not hypocrisy...that's just being human.
That's the great thing about being a grown up. We know when to recognize sound advice even when the advice giver doesn't always heed it him/herself. :)
You just keep giving that sound advice to us novices and we'll forgive you for slipping up once in a while and allowing us to continue to learn from your mistakes. :D
We just thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. :tiphat:

Yep Nova I hear ya! I would rather learn from another's mistakes too. Found out (the hard Way) that is a much cheaper way to get learned...

Braford, Guess that is okay to breed like that if you AI and if you have the time to catch the heats and do all required to maximize profit or accomplish whatever goals you set.

I have found that if i set too many goals I achieve nothing. So over time I have set primary and secondary goals for myself and work to achieve them. Once I meet one I decide on the next. Good luck

hillbillycwo":2bs2w0mc said:
Braford, Guess that is okay to breed like that if you AI and if you have the time to catch the heats and do all required to maximize profit or accomplish whatever goals you set.

I only ai my full blood cows to produce fullblood calves for the registered market, if i dont use the fullblood bulls i have.

Currently:
I have a herd of reg. mostly polled brahmans - I have a reg scurred brahman bull and a polled nelore bull(reg as brahman)
I have a herd of reg herefords that i use commercially

and a hand full of 2 other breeds(british white and i have a british white bull, as well as a few fleckvieh cows that I ai to fleck bulls ).

I dont have any brangus cows right now I sold the last of them this year,but I will buy some next year. And i will buy another black angus bull(I sold mine this year)

Black brangus,ultrablacks,and tigerstripes are the top sellers.
For the commercial market I use my hereford and black brangus cows. I can use the angus bull to produce black baldies and ultrablacks. If i decide one year that i want to produce some tigerstripes I can use the brahman bull on the herefords.

Registered Goals:
Registered brahmans. I will produce british white and fleckvieh but they are just a hobby

Commercial goals:
Black Baldies
Ultra Blacks
and an occasional group of tigerstripes

Braford you talk in circles...you say you have no brangus then in next paragraph your breeding brangus... sounds like a cattle operation in someone's mind only . Best wishes.

TexasBred":1he7l885 said:
Braford you talk in circles...you say you have no brangus then in next paragraph your breeding brangus... sounds like a cattle operation in someone's mind only . Best wishes.

The post said I sold my last brangus cows this year and I plan to get more next year.
The next paragraph was the breeding that could be done. The ultrablacks were what I produced before I sold my brangus and what I plan to produce when I have brangus again.

TexasBred":39gu87tn said:

The post said I sold my last brangus cows this year and I plan to get more next year.
The next paragraph was the breeding that could be done. The ultrablacks were what I produced before I sold my brangus and what I plan to produce when I have brangus again.

Bra,
Three bulls eat awhole lot! Unless you have 75-100 cows I don't see the benefit there if you were to pencil it out. Trying to keep that all straight when your not there everyday, the feed inputs on those bulls, on my budget I couldn't even come close to a break even let alone a profit. I run 25 head right now and if I could I would AI it would be much cheaper (proved to me by several on here) however as I am not there to watch for heats, run em in the chutte and breed em that wont work right now. So in the interim I purchased the best bull I could find (thanks to 3way and a few others for their advice) and wish I could have leased him for the breeding season but no interest on his breeder for that. Just don't make sense to me or dollar forr that matter. You must have some deep pockets.

hillbillycwo":2nh26gzm said:
Bra,
Three bulls eat awhole lot! Unless you have 75-100 cows I don't see the benefit there if you were to pencil it out. Trying to keep that all straight when your not there everyday, the feed inputs on those bulls, on my budget I couldn't even come close to a break even let alone a profit. I run 25 head right now and if I could I would AI it would be much cheaper (proved to me by several on here) however as I am not there to watch for heats, run em in the chutte and breed em that wont work right now. So in the interim I purchased the best bull I could find (thanks to 3way and a few others for their advice) and wish I could have leased him for the breeding season but no interest on his breeder for that. Just don't make sense to me or dollar forr that matter. You must have some deep pockets.

Good point on the bulls..... I was thinking the same thing. One bull can cover from 25 to 40 head typically. If you are running three or four bulls for 50 head, you can reduce that to one, maybe two and replace the others with one to two more cows. Instead of feeding a bull you will be feeding a cow producing another calf which could mean upwards of an extra $1,000 a year in profits depending on input costs versus cattle prices.

Guess I have learned something. LOL. Now just gotta figure out how to purchase those extra cows I need. Been blessed so far with good pastures and great calves Wish I didn't have payments to make I would keep several of the heifers from this years crop. Wish I could keep em all and sell em bred in the spring, well some of them anyway. I think bred heifers will be worth their weight ingold this spring.

The reason we run more than 2 bulls for 50 head is our grazing habits and some of the breeding that we do.
We split our cows into groups(10-15 in a group) and place each group in a different pasture. They can usually graze on that pasture until winter. I may move certain groups to new pastures since some of our pastures produce more grass than others. The lower producing pastures need breaks throughout the year.

The bull that is with them breeds them and eats with them until we pull them for the year. Once the bulls are pulled they get no special treatment, they go to a pasture away from the cows and eat grass or hay until the next breeding season to put the weight they lost during breeding . I may feed them a little grain just to bring them up and keep them gentle,but not enough to put weight on them. But they have to put their weight back on by themselves with little input from me.

A bull and cow that can maintain condition on grass with little to no supplement should produce a heifer that should grow up to be an easy keeping cow. The cow will loose condition while raising a calf and a bull will while breeding. But after breeding and after the calf is weaned the cow and bull need to be able to get back into shape on their own.

If i ran all my cattle together in one pasture , then i would have to move my cattle every few weeks and they would not stay fat and it would harm my pastures. We did that until about three or four years ago. But I noticed how our cattle were not in the best of shape and the pastures were being over grazed in a short period of time. And i suggested the idea about splitting them into smaller groups. It has worked. All cows stayed in good condition and the calves have been heavier.

This year has been the exception, and i have been feeding my bulls to get them back into condition. I pulled my bulls in June this year. And it is hard for a bull to recover from breeding with little to no grass. All cows and heifers have kept their condition.

I would guestimate oyur condition issue has more to do with lack of rainfall than anything else.

I have found just the opposite with my esperiment with rotational grazing. But I have 7, 4 acre paddocks and rotate my cows every 3-7 days (25 head) depending on forage growth. This gives an average of 20-25 days regrowth per pasture before the rotation is started again. Which in turn keeps the grass in a growth state on a continual basis. However, without some rain then the grass goes dorment and regrow slows. In that case I have to lengthen the grazing period by putting cows into the lanes feed em a roll or two of hay or I must open hay fields too them for a week to give the pastures time to grow back some. This year thankfully I only had to feed them in the lane 2 rolls of hay, they grazed the lane to dirt and cleaned the hay up that week long period gave time for regrowth inthe pastures and we went back to rotational grazing through the paddocks. Oh eah forgot to mention that after I rolled hay in my hay fields and got the rolls in the barn I let the cows clean each field up, gave them 1-2 days in each field. Worked great, no fence lines to mow and no wasted grass.

I think the main reason rotational grazing works for me is the fact my son is there to check grass and cow conditon everyday and give new fields to the cows as they need it when they need it. This increases utilization rates of the grass and increases manure disttribution but someone has to be there to watch the grass height. Plus we haven't had near the lack of rain as others have.

Latest posts