Our first Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

yep....I have had a few thousand over my life time and it is still exciting to find a new one.....

yeah they all like to hide.....

Had my first one of the season Saturday and Sunday morning had to look for it for five minutes in a half acre lot....

Congrats on the new ones of the season! do you keep them in a calving pen or just let them roam? i wonder if i shouldn't pen them up when i know they're coming?

that was a big fear for us...which was why the 2nd morning was fairly stressful...Mama just did a great job hiding him on us.

He's got his legs under him now...feeling a lot more comfortable now!

Like MO_cows said, it never gets old it seems... I'm always curious to see how they're going to look, etc... My count is about 400ish now

Being able to share the experience with our girls is of course a major reason why we are doing this thing! she's gonna be a solid hand when the time comes! she's already pushing the horses and cows around pretty good...I doubt the joy or stress get any less through the years....We are completely thrilled, thank y'all!

TennesseeTuxedo":2jgdfl0c said:
pdfangus":2jgdfl0c said:
MY NEIGHBOR HAD SOMETHING EAT HIS FIRST CALF THIS FALL SO I AM KEEPING MINE UP CLOSE UNTIL THEY ARE A FEW DAYS OLD...

You're screaming at the newbies again PDF. :D

I am like a drill sergeant.....that is what I do.........LOL

Yall should realize by now that I use a lot of caps in applications at work and caps look normal to me....
I seldom even notice em...
when I do start screaming it will be a be nice laced tirade of epic proportions in bold italic underlined red...... :cowboy:

Congrats on the new baby without a doubt calving time is still my favorite time of the year. Now I get to take my grand babies out to see the calves. We raise Angus an our little black calves are cute but I have to admit there just isn't anything cuter than a little herf baby love the picture! Best of luck with the rest of you calves you have a great start. We have one cow that is as sweet as can be till that baby hits the ground then for about three we have to be very careful cause she will get you. I am telling you this from experience be careful till you know how mamma is going to act.

Gizmom

glfgy74":34b3hkbu said:
We had our first Calf last Monday...Mama is great and the Bull Calf is doing real well! What an Experience for a young ranching family!

Mama Cow sure did give us a little scare by hiding the calf so well I couldn't find him on morning 2....anyone have that experience?

2nd calf coming anyday!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Congrats looks good had a calf hidden for about 2 weeks and everytime I entered in the pasture she bolted with him to the woods. I took her and the calf home where I gave her treats " sweet feed " twice a day and she let the calf come near me.

Latest posts