our biggest horns

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
This girl is tuff now. She's had 2 calves, and let's just say she's real protective...
IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

I don't know why these posted so small. I can never get the pics to work the same way twice....

Thx - no, don't really know anyhting about her. She was part of a dozen or so heifers my folks bought several years ago when my brother was still playing cowboy (roping). They were for sale as roping heifers DIRT CHEAP 2 1/2 hrs away, so mama and daddy gave lil bro a check and told him to buy them unless they were trash. That's how we've made $$$ on LH before. Well, they were way too big to rope and some were trash, but young guns and money... he brought em home anyway. Old guy told my brother 'now the bull tore in a time or 2, so some of em might turn up bred'. I think all but 3 of em had calves the following spring and the sales from those calves were more than we paid for the 'roping' heifers. So we call the remaining cows out of that group the free cows sometimes. We weaned last week and I'm about to go check the calves, so I'll try to get a pic of her calf from this year.

She's a great looking cow. I could sure find a use for her. Too bad no papers. She or her sire and dam probably came out someone's herd who just quit keeping up with pedigrees. That happens all the time.

Not trying to start trouble but is that kind of horn normal on a "cow", or is there some thing else in the woodpile?

Thx Ryan for fixing pics.
3way- No trouble w/me - I don't really like her. I don't know what you mean though. Explain? Not gonna offend me.

farmwriter":2cz68tj6 said:
This girl is tuff now. She's had 2 calves, and let's just say she's real protective...
IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

I don't know why these posted so small. I can never get the pics to work the same way twice....
M Gravlee":2cz68tj6 said:
How to Post a Picture
by M Gravlee on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:04 am

You have to be a Forum Member and be logged in...

1. Go to Photo Gallery and click on "Upload Photos". If you don't see the button, register and login.

2. Click on the first "Browse" button and find the photo file on your hard drive.

3. Enter Tilte and Description if you wish and click the "Upload/Submit" button.

4. When you have got the picture uploaded and opened, RIGHT CLICK in the picture. You will get a text box opened. Scroll down to "properties" and left click. This brings up another box and in that box there will be a URL. Highlight the complete URL and copy (CNTL C).

5. Go to the forum where you want to post your picture. There will be several little yellow boxes at the top of the page. The boxes contail the following: "B" for bold, i for italics, u for underline and so on. There will be one box that has "Img". When you are ready to post your picture click the "Img" then paste your picture (CNTL V) and follow with another "Img" and your done.

That's all!

Another plus for the Photo Gallery... your picture is automatically sized just right for the Forums! :D
Very important: When you right click in the thumbnail you end up posting the thumbnail. You must right click the actual photo you want to post.

farmwriter":u851ngmf said:
3way- No trouble w/me - I don't really like her. I don't know what you mean though. Explain? Not gonna offend me.

What I meant was those horns seem above average heavy for a longhorn cow.

Is there a possibility that there could be a little african blood in there somewhere.

I will defer to the Longhorn experts for their opinion.

3waycross":2lim9k53 said:
farmwriter":2lim9k53 said:

Is there a possibility that there could be a little african blood in there somewhere.

I was wondering the same thing, a few (very few) of the pics of LH's have had very thick horns at the base. A while ago there was a bit of an argument about LH's and Watusi influence. Now I'm not one to try the cause trouble or stir the pot...... much :D

Just having some fun,
Alan

3waycross":1r2e2ira said:

Funny u should say that. Most of our cows have names - hers is Watu. We wondered if she had some watusi her in too.

I'm telling you they were a motley bunch of cows - since sold several of them. Several had the more bowl shaped horns vs texas twist and some looked more coriente/cracker cow as far as horns go. But because of their fertility and their goat-like appetite, they were a $teal.

I don't know anything about this cow so I can't say for sure but she doesn't look like anthing with Watusi influence to me. I'd certainly use her. This type of horn is desirable to many breeders, maybe not to others but if you have base you can get length. That was the belief of many old time Longhorn breeders and I believe it as well. Some of our better horn producing cows have this type of horns and they certainly pass it on to their calves. One of our cows had such big horn bases as a heifer that she looked unbalanced. I used to joke and call her a Watusi but she grew into her horns as she matured. A couple of big time breeders have tried to buy her but we haven't turned her loose yet.

The thinner pencil type horns are often an indication that something else has crept in along the way. Often when they are crossed up the horns will get thinner and of course shotrer.

Just yesterday, looked at 2 Watusi cows and a bull ------- We can never be sure but, I don't see any Watusi in the above cow. I have seen a few cows with that length and mass !!! :tiphat:

Red Bull Breeder":326i8h8r said:
I would say she has a little watusi in her. Her horns is not where i see the watusi, look on the other end.

Not saying she is, or isnt purebred or crossbred anything, but here's my 2cents:
If I had to guess, I'd say she would have a touch of watusi in her. I've seen horns like that before in pure LH's. But, That second picture, the profile one of her on the move, is where I could see some watusi influence. Not a lot, but some. Maybe 1/4 or less. The hip structure, the color pattern, the shape of the head seen in the second picture, and the navel flap are watusi-esque. Add the horns that are a touch heavier than normal, and you can make an argument against her being 100% LH.

HOWEVER, with all that said, if her original owner and registration papers magically showed up one day saying she was 100% LH it wouldnt surprise me. With the vast amount of variation of color, structure, horn, size, etc... in LH's it is entirely possible she is 100% LH.

BUT, since there are no papers, nobody will ever know for sure. At best, anyone can offer is an (un)educated guess, based on 2 pictures and experience.

Ryan

Latest posts