Our 6 month old bull and some herd shots

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
OK, throwing myself out here. Thought I would post a few pics of our small herd. Here we go...
The first two shots is our only spring bull, since we cut the rest. He is a late Feb, embryo calf sired by Triple C Invasion and an old Blackfoot cow for the dam. He was less than 80 pounds at birth (can not remember exact weight right now) and has been the top gainer. His biggest fault? He has too much leather up front, but I think he will be a pounds bull for sure! His recip is a 1200 pound cow, 3 years old, and see how big he is next to her?
herd_shot_aug_12_d.jpg

herd_shot_aug_12_h.jpg

This next pic is a two year old half blood simm by BC Lookout. Her calf is the little white faced steer laying in front of her. Her calf got cut, nothing special to us, but she is doing a great job raising him. She is carrying an heifer embryo by Steel Force x Lady 1U. We are real excited about this one! She is not due till the very end of January.
herd_shot_aug_12_i.jpg

Just a shot from the pasture. We had an inch of much needed rain fall last night, so today was a very pretty day! I can not wait until everything greens up!
herd_shot_aug_12_e.jpg

Another pretty shot. This cow is due in about 7 days with another embryo; it would be a flushmate heifer to the heifer that won the MO State Fair Simmental show. Eagerly awaiting this one also. We know it is a heifer, now we hope it has a white blaze and red! Sire is Built Right and dam is L202. This cow calved a bull flushmate to this mating for us two years ago, a black white faced bull that sold in our state sale for $2900 in the Spring.
herd_shot_aug_12_f.jpg

Just to show you not every calf works out, this is another embryo calf by Harker's Domination x Zeis Ms Zel (Time Burke donor). He is broken behind his shoulders, roached in his top to name a few faults (breech, over 90 pounds...) He got cut, but is not weaned yet (5 months old). Not sure if one of the kids is going to show him as a steer next year or the baldy steer...
herd_shot_aug_12_g.jpg

This is a two year old due to calve in October to a Cherry red Amigo son we had (and sold in the state sale in the Spring). We are hoping for a soggy heifer, since the bull was extra soggy and the heifer is NOT!
herd_shot_aug_12_k.jpg

Another almost 2 year old by Top Flight, carrying a heifer calf by Motecito (flush mate to Optimus Prime). We picked this heifer up at the Shoal Creek sale last fall.
herd_shot_aug_12_l.jpg

And last cow shot, an embryo heifer calf sired by Pacesetter and dam a Drake cow. We have several half sibs to this calf on both sides, and love them all! My middle child will show this heifer next year. She has her faults (extra leather to name one!), but she has a jewel of an attitude and will make a great cow.
herd_shot_aug_12_j.jpg

An a parting shot, our horses that we do absolutely NOTHING with any more!
herd_shot_aug_12_c.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":1jnndh4f said:
Why don't you ride your horses anymore?

We used to ride all the time, involved with barrel racing and trail riding. We have just moved on to other things, like showing the cattle instead. Our farm is not big enough to justify using a horse (we walk all our cattle to different pastures), and there are not a lot of riding groups out here (we moved 5 years ago). So, unless someone asks my kids to go riding with them, they just sit in the pasture. We had a stud years ago, but gelded him and sold him when the market crashed for horses. I can not see giving them away, so they just eat grass and get fat. The paints are out of a mare that I showed as a kid, that we buried out back when she was 29. The two quarter mares (black and grey) are my daughters.

Alacowman, thanks! I hope he fits in the commercial sector, I sure think he can add pounds and should be a calving ease sire.

Very nice and thick looking bull, I would love to see a side profile pic of him, but at this point very nice. As far as the horses go, don't worry about it, my wife has 5 horses that do exactly what your horse look like they're doing, eating profit and nothing more.

Alan

All your cattle look good to me especially that bull.
I'm glad you got some rain we did too!

good looking cattle and horses. glad to hear you got some rain right where i am i have had 2 inches in the last two days that nobody else got 5 miles either side and it has been that way all year our place is green and everthing around is dry and brown.

Good lookin young bull. He has done well hasnt he?
We used to have horses too, but got rid of em a few years back when nobody rode em. Just ate grass that the cows could be eatin I figured...

thats 1 nice looking bull calf.he should grow into a nice herd bull.an your horses are real nice as well.

Thanks guys for all your comments. We are very picky about keeping bulls, since steers are so much cheaper and easier to to deal with (straight to the auction 30 days post weaning, versus bulls you have to feed for 10 to 12 months, and have a lot invested by the time they can be sold as breeders). We mostly AI, and almost never use a bull because of this. It is a pain to keep a bull around if you do not need one. Case in point, we are weaning all our springs this weekend (if we do not get too flooded by the rain expected - YIPEE!). My biggest issue is where to put the bulls. We currently have two fall bulls (one is sold and going to KY next week) and this spring bull. I have to keep them away from the cows and heifers, so they need a pasture of their own! We have not had enough rain to get good grass growth, so each pasture is hay. Three young bulls damage more of a bale of hay then they eat! So, a bull has to be pretty special to stick around here :D
Here are some of our bulls: This one we sold this summer, he is 12 months old in this picture. Sired by STF Dominator out of a Built Right cow
dudley_side.jpg

This bull we just sold a week ago. He is 9 months old in the pic. He is a 3/4 blood by Mo Better out of a 1/2 blood Macho cow. He won tons this year, including champion percentage and champion bred and owned bull at Missouri State Fair.
mo_LCF_2012_small.jpg

Here is a bull we currently have, and is just weaned in this pic. He is by Rendition out of a Westfall Crossfire cow. I am eagerly looking forward to how he develops this fall!
bolt_0712.jpg

And lastly, here is a bull that DID NOT make it. We cut him because we did not like his attitude (very up-headed, and would run to the other corner and look like he was going to jump the fence if you came near him!). We decided to keep this one back, since he was bred and owned, and raise him for the freezer. Glad we did! He finished out at 1324 pounds at 14 months old (and we held him for three months so our daughter could show him at the regional junior show), hung on the rail at 890 pounds, and graded choice plus YG2. Oh, he won the carcass county contest too! Also, he is a half brother to the oldest bull pictured above, same AI sire. Best thing, he tastes GREAT!
charlie_low_res.jpg

And his rib eye:
charlie_rib_eye.jpg

Latest posts