Our 2013 calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

Dubcharo

Reaction score
It was a good calving season for us, we have 128 calves from 123 cows, it began 3 January and finished 25 March. Seven twin couples, 3 backwards, 1 uterine twist. Lost 2, first a heifer calf 80 pounds with retains forward legs detect too late and the second a 3 weeks old probably kick by another cow (nosebleed). Everything still indoor waiting green grass to grow.

Dubcharo":1gzrscpi said:
It was a good calving season for us, we have 128 calves from 123 cows, it began 3 January and finished 25 March. Seven twin couples, 3 backwards, 1 uterine twist. Lost 2, first a heifer calf 80 pounds with retains forward legs detect too late and the second a 3 weeks old probably kick by another cow (nosebleed). Everything still indoor waiting green grass to grow.
7 sets of twins? Did I read that right?

Yes 14 Calves all alive and well from 7 cows. In the charolais breed 5% of twins is normal. Last year we had 9 sets of twins.

Dubcharo":379fzkha said:
Yes 14 Calves all alive and well from 7 cows. In the charolais breed 5% of twins is normal. Last year we had 9 sets of twins.
Wow! Sounds like one heck of a calving season. Best calving percentage I have ever seen. :tiphat:

Some pictures, first 3 different twins. The last one our best calf so far Shelco Made Easy X Rio Bravo

P1050865.jpg

P1050793.jpg

P1050792.jpg

P10508141.jpg

P1050563.jpg

P1050931.jpg

Thanks for the comments. We are purebred Charolais breeder since the sixties, each year we sell nearly half of our production as replacements. We sell around 20 calves (female twins with bulls, big birth weight castrate) to market in the fall and finish the rest for slaughter.

I feel like a fool. I think every set of twins I have ever had was on a charlois cow. I never made the connection. Great looking calves BTW.

I like Charolais cattle and I like your calves. Our last 3 sets of twins were from Char cows. One of those cows, had back to back sets. You have had a fantastic calving year. Congratulations. We are looking forward to seeing calves from our Bruanvieh x Char cross heifers this fall. They'll be Hereford bred. Looking for yellow white face offspring. Hope you have the same result next year.

No that picture is from 2006 if I remember well, it's in the fall. We retain that Allan Browarny picture for our farm add and business card. That bull was bought by a commercial breeder, we still have the cow born in 2003

Latest posts