Orphan Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dahlen23

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I am new to this board and love it!! I was just curious about others thoughts about a calf that we have. The calf is 2 1/2 weeks old and her mother is still kicking at her when she tries to suck. I can't speak for when I am not there obviously but the calf always seems eager to suck, the only problem is that the only way the calf is able to suck is if we lock mom in the maternity pen and give her some corn. Mom still tries to kick the calf but will allow her to suck and sometimes the calf acts like she has never eaten other times she isn't so bad. I am not sure if mom is nervous and allows her to eat while we aren't around but calf seems wild too because mom is. They seem to hang out, as they are always laying around one another. We have a very nice cow that just lost a set of twins, that is on another thread, but is it too late for adoption or to try and bottle feed with the calf so wild?? Any ideas or opinions are welcome!!!!

As far as adoption - as long as the mother who lost the twins has milk, go for it! She may accept the new calf and she may not - nothing ventured, nothing gained and you will not know until you try. Bottle feeding is going to be a bit more tricky because the calf is used to nursing her mother and the bottle nipple does not feel or taste like her mother's tit does. It can be done, but it will probably be an uphill battle - especially if the mother cares enough to bawl to her calf. One thing you need to take into consideration, though, is that calves do much, much better on a cow than they do on milk replacer. I would not make this calf a bottle calf except as a last recourse. As far as the cow kicking her calf while in the chute, I believe I would get me a 2X4 and adjust her attitude. There are a few things that really frosts my cake, and one of them is a cow who will not accept her calf, or who will not allow her calf to suck. I'm not advocating beating the crap out of her, just a well-delivered whack every time that foot comes up to kick. If it doesn't set off a light-bulb in her brain, I would seriously consider shipping her because she probably won't improve with time, but that is your decision.

I have seen 15 year old cows kick at their calves and that means nothing.Unless you know for sure the calf is not getting enough milk >>then intervene.But cows are actually smart and when they think the calf has had enough they will kick it away.Also if you are watching them they will go into protective mode and move the calf away which may make you think they are kicking it for no reason.So before you move the calf be certain.However if the calf is being injured whatsoever remove it ASAP.