Organic Consumers are Happy with their Choice

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3erp8583 said:
I dont see any down side to buying some thing labeled organic. I figure you got a 50/50 shot. If it is great. If it isn't that's ok too. If you buy some thing not labeled organic you have ZERO chance of it being organic.
Soooo - you must be an organic believer. the downside is that you are usually paying way more than it is worth, and if buying fresh fruit/vegetables, they are generally inferior products - IMO
That's like GMO free. Don't people realize the CHEMICALS this earth is NOT getting sprayed on if a farmer uses GMO seeds? There are double standards going on here. Don't use chemicals - but, when we come up with a way to reduce the use - OH NO, don't use GMO.
The sky is falling.

Friends do the organic thing with their chickens and sell eggs for $6 a dozen. When they are questioned about how the birds are raised they always leave out the part about the birds pecking in the cow shyt.

slick4591":1k73tm2n said:
When they are questioned about how the birds are raised they always leave out the part about the birds pecking in the cow shyt.

What's not organic about that? . . . . . . lol

jehosofat":17ia1uiw said:
slick4591":17ia1uiw said:
When they are questioned about how the birds are raised they always leave out the part about the birds pecking in the cow shyt.

That's as organic as it gets, but them city folk...

slick4591":qmr9unvx said:
Friends do the organic thing with their chickens and sell eggs for $6 a dozen. When they are questioned about how the birds are raised they always leave out the part about the birds pecking in the cow shyt.

Funny stuff right there, I'd venture to say most of there customers have no idea about the habits of those organic chickens, verses those awfully treated ones that are kept in coops and fed all grain rations.

Ky hills":1v8abxc7 said:
Funny stuff right there, I'd venture to say most of there customers have no idea about the habits of those organic chickens, verses those awfully treated ones that are kept in coops and fed all grain rations.

You are right, they don't. They can read labels tho.

If I had a dollar for everyone somebody asked about how we housed our chickens last year at the farmers market I would have several dollars. Some folks would ask and then ask again in a different way as if they didn't believe or were trying to trip us up. My wife finally took pictures of the chickens and their coop and outside pen and displayed them at our stand.
Then the fact that last year most of our chickens were white leghorns and laid those white eggs just like the grocery stores have so many of was another round of questions.

They don't wash their eggs and sometimes there's a little feather stuck to one. Those ladies would pay extra for those eggs I believe. lol

Walmart donates a lot of organic food to the local food pantry, it's all expired because they can't sell it. Guess the people in 10th poorest county in Illinois can't afford organic.

slick4591":2xzc395g said:
jehosofat":2xzc395g said:
slick4591":2xzc395g said:

That's as organic as it gets, but them city folk...
Actually, unless the cows were certified ORGANIC ---- NO, the chickens are not organic. They must eat certified organic grass and anything else they eat must be certified organic. HMMMM - how do you get bugs certified??
So, the only way "free range" chickens should be able to be certified Organic, is if the whole farm is actually an organic farm, from what I have been told.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1k0bhwke said:
Brute 23":1k0bhwke said:
I dont see any down side to buying some thing labeled organic. I figure you got a 50/50 shot. If it is great. If it isn't that's ok too. If you buy some thing not labeled organic you have ZERO chance of it being organic.
Soooo - you must be an organic believer. the downside is that you are usually paying way more than it is worth, and if buying fresh fruit/vegetables, they are generally inferior products - IMO
That's like GMO free. Don't people realize the CHEMICALS this earth is NOT getting sprayed on if a farmer uses GMO seeds? There are double standards going on here. Don't use chemicals - but, when we come up with a way to reduce the use - OH NO, don't use GMO.
The sky is falling.

Naw I just think its better than spending money on cocaine and hookers.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":463jqp0u said:
Actually, unless the cows were certified ORGANIC ---- NO, the chickens are not organic. They must eat certified organic grass and anything else they eat must be certified organic. HMMMM - how do you get bugs certified??
So, the only way "free range" chickens should be able to be certified Organic, is if the whole farm is actually an organic farm, from what I have been told.

My guess is the majority of their buyers have no idea what true organic actually is. As long as they hear the word they're satisfied. They do tell people they can't advertise them that way because they are not certified. Like you pointed out, somewhere along the line there is a hair to be split.

Brute 23":p4ydb52v said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":p4ydb52v said:
Brute 23":p4ydb52v said:
The sky is falling.

You are wrong in your thinking . . . . . . . .lol

jehosofat":3pslrjah said:
Brute 23":3pslrjah said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pslrjah said:
The sky is falling.

You are wrong in your thinking . . . . . . . .lol

LMAO

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2zaa35cj said:
Brute 23":2zaa35cj said:
The sky is falling.

So chemical use in the US did drop with the introduction of GMO's to start. However then resistance kicked in and now more chemical is used. So much so that they have stopped publishing the data. There have been no new herbicieds found in over 10 years. So to create a hebicide tolerant plant is just a money grab. Monsantoie et. al. steeling moeny from farmers with slick PR.

There is a claim that GMO's increased yeilds. Well if this is so, and they have pumped a lot of money into breeding how come a) soya bean yeilds have barely changed, and secondly non GM corn can still yeild with or above GMO corn??

There is no short cut to farming.

So the wife and I were leaving the house a bit ago and she expressed frustration that squash vine borers were killing a few varieties of squash she has. I reminded her that by not using pesticides she was going to keep having that problem. Of course, she wrinkled her eyes and nose and said something about being "better than eating that poison." Oh really? What if you were trying to feed the world and using the same methods you are using in you garden? Pretty sure there would be a lot more hungry people in the world dying of starvation. Silence follows....

slick4591":ezgdh9j8 said:
So the wife and I were leaving the house a bit ago and she expressed frustration that squash vine borers were killing a few varieties of squash she has. I reminded her that by not using pesticides she was going to keep having that problem. Of course, she wrinkled her eyes and nose and said something about being "better than eating that poison." Oh really? What if you were trying to feed the world and using the same methods you are using in you garden? Pretty sure there would be a lot more hungry people in the world dying of starvation. Silence follows....

Naw, the govt would just have to stop paying people not to farm land. #popcorn

Latest posts