Organic cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Probably been asked before but anyway, Does anyone on here run a strictly organic cattle operation? And then what exactly defines organic? I have a feeling there is no simple answer but maybe I'll be surprised.

Sure there is a simple answer! If you can afford it........... :D

I looked at this when starting out, but I just don't have enough of the organic crowd in our area to pay the high prices necessary to make it profitable. Make sure you know your market.

Angus/Brangus":2ss71ej6 said:
You might also consider the "grass fed" market.
Much better option!

I understand that there is a difference between natural and organic as well.
Natural not so strict and still makes that crowd happy....

you can find the requirements with a google or check out the USDA labeling guidelines , a lot of documentation and restrictions on pasture issues i.e. free of chemicals for a number of years and organic feeds which are tough to come by or non existent in our area.

Seems to me the natural guidelines are easily attainable if you have a closed herd and my buyers find those the important factors i.e. no hormones or constant medications.I live in liberaland here , health fooders and middle aged hippies so there is a market for my small piddly operation.A little tip for some of you trying to sell some sides , I had my daughter put a flyer up at the hospital she works at , I've sold 5 this past two weeks off that , doc's and nurses with good incomes that want healthy beef !

I certainly don't criticize traditional producers as you need every break you can find when trying to make a profit.If I were selling to a sale barn I'd be losing my a$$

Great tip! Do you have to finish the cattle with grains for 3 months before selling them as freezer beef?

Pualine, if you are talking about grass fed ~ No, you don't finish with feed.
If you are talking about natural you can, or not. Natural are sometimes also "grass fed". We sell natural, but not "grass fed". Ours are finished on grain.

My husband said the cattle are finished with grain to take away the grass taste. :???:
People don't like grass taste? I can't tell the difference.

I've heard theres a difference. I don't know ~ we finish on grain. The people who buy grass fed are more concerned with things other than taste ~ not that its bad (don't start throwing rocks!!), but it is different, leaner. Thats what they are wanting.

I haven;t kept up with all of the hoskus poscue, but it used to be for a calf to be "organic" the pasture, hay and everything else had to also be certified organic.

dun":3avj8sox said:
I haven;t kept up with all of the hoskus poscue, but it used to be for a calf to be "organic" the pasture, hay and everything else had to also be certified organic.
That is the way it is in Mn.
I don't know if its a state issue or fed.

There are Federal rules to be certified organic. The states may have tougher rules but they can't be less restrictive. The book is pretty thick. Also there is a fee charged by the certifying agency and it is fairly expensive or at least it is here.

Latest posts