orchardgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

sheepdr

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I want to plant some orchardgrass. I was told persist is a good one but I can't find out if you can overseeded it. I live in no. Nevada and my fields are all in sprinklers. Things are just starting to green up so I have about a month before I think I should plant. Trying to get some good horse hay.

Persist is good, here. Has performed well, and the cows will eat it - some of the others I'd planted in the past - Benchmark, Potomac, etc., were the absolute last thing the cows would touch, when grazing.
I've never really planted it in any manner other than drilling it in with a no-till drill - but will be broadcasting some leftover Persist over a couple of paddocks with very thin, recently grazed stands of grass - along with some timothy & red clover - in the next week or so, just before the cows come back through, to trample the seed in.
Broadcasting over a fairly decent stand of grasses, after greenup, with no treading in would likely be a waste of seed/$$ - I'd think very little would have a shot at making soil contact and having a chance to germinate, much less the seedlings having a chance to compete with established grasses.

Their trying to talk me in to patomac. None of this will be fed off, it'll all be cut and baled hopefully for horse hay. Pretty picky horse people as you may know.
Sheepdr

potomac is ok, but the persist will be better, Really, just be sure you are planting a improved variety. There are much cheaper orchards out there, but they are usually older ones that Don't yield near as well. If you are planting with alfalfa, be sure you plant a later maturing one, as some will mature way before the alfalfa is ready. We have been planting orchard for years with alfalfa, and it makes super feed.
edit: your location (general) would really help suggest a certain variety that do good in YOUR area.

Persist was developed by Dr. Bob Congers at the University of Tennessee. If I remember correctly it is a clone from some old varieties that seemed to be doing well and lasting a long time.
I like Persist, but like any other grass, if you graze it into the dirt too many times it will diminish rapidly.
Cutting hay takes its toll on grass too especially if cut 2 or 3 times a year......the reason being is that most of these disc mowers and discbines scalp the ground, therefore all regrowth has to come from the roots instead of photosynthesis. That is why if you don't fertilize hayfields you'll be lucky to make a roll to the acre after the first year because it has no root system.

Latest posts