ORCHARD GRASS And Timothy Seed Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Haven't had much luck with $3 per pound orchard grass and timothy seed for hay/pasture. Just didn't germinate, didn't do anything at all, dug several areas up and the seed is still there I'll have to partially rework this pasture this fall. Do any of you all have a favorite brand of timothy/orchardgrass seed? checked out http://www.farmseeds.comfor a broader idea but, not really much help[/url]

How long a time frame are we talking from the time the seed was put in to the time you dug it up?

It's been my experience that Timothy and OG come up REALLY slowly.

I mix it with clover and use Oats as a cover crop on freshly plowed fields.......the oats come up really fast and keeps the weeds back long enough for the grass to take hold.

If I overseed a pasture with Timothy or OG I don't expect to see much new growth till the following year.

I never have heard of seed laying dormant that long,
If I overseed a pasture with Timothy or OG I don't expect to see much new growth till the following year.
We did this this spring, early I expected to see some growth in three months plus since planting it.

Without knowing your fields, planting methods, and weather it's hard to say.

I am NOT an expert on crop planting and stuff but I do have experience with Timothy and Orchard Grass cause it's what I've used on my place for years.

Timothy and OG have very small seeds and it needs to be planted close to the surface. Push a Timothy seed two inches deep an you arent gonna get anything from it cause the seedhead doesnt store enough energy to get it up out of the ground.
1/4 inch planting depth is best in my experience.

They need to stay moist too which can be tricky because of the shallow planting depth.

Timothy will basically stop growing in the summer heat....Orchard Grass slows down a lot but will keep growing most of the year and tolerates a fair ammount of shade.
Both of these grasses prefer cooler weather which is why they are so popular up here in New York.

Like I said I don't know your area, the fields, or the weather, and you might already know all of this.
I would certainly want to figure out why the seed didn't come up before I planted more of it.

Timothy has a shallow root system too so gotta be careful using it for pasture. Makes great hay though :)

Latest posts