options

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
on a normal year the calves are weaned and i feed a little cake or cotton seed and the cows do fine, but now cows have calves on their side and cake, cotton seed, protein tubs and any other protien source i can thing of is really high now.
any options for protein source i have not thought of ?
this is the grass they hve to graze and i am sure it is lacking enough protein for a lactating cow.
grass009-1.jpg

grass011.jpg

Lactating cows need more than just additional protein. I made the mistake if thinking more protein was what they needed a few years back. Then I found that nursing cows over the winter needed a bit more than just the protein and went to a balanced ration in addition to winter forage and hay. The calves were better and the cows went into spring better. Just my .02

hooknline":27upiuwe said:
Lactating cows need more than just additional protein. I made the mistake if thinking more protein was what they needed a few years back. Then I found that nursing cows over the winter needed a bit more than just the protein and went to a balanced ration in addition to winter forage and hay. The calves were better and the cows went into spring better. Just my .02

thanks hook
thats why i asked i;ve been at this a long time but i know i don't know it all

Do you have DDG's available? We use it around here to supplement when the need arises. It stores easily and the cows love it. We get it wet right before feeding so it holds together, and does not blow away.

Something to keep in mind when finding protein sources is to do like someone on here said to figure by cost per pound of protein not per pound of product. It is surprising what might look good and is cheap but price per pound of protein shows it ain't that cheap.

Cross at this point in times there is absolutely nothing out there in the feed world that is really a bargain. Some is just a little bit cheaper than some other ingredient. In your location I'd think whole cottonseed would be the best buy and the best product due to the excellent protein, fat and fiber content and very high energy levels.

TexasBred":pa5qt3ds said:
Cross at this point in times there is absolutely nothing out there in the feed world that is really a bargain. Some is just a little bit cheaper than some other ingredient. In your location I'd think whole cottonseed would be the best buy and the best product due to the excellent protein, fat and fiber content and very high energy levels.

i like whole cotton seed but it's 310.00 a ton and has come down from 400.00 with harvest in progress
i haven't checked cake but i bet it close to whole seed

20% breeder cubes are running $9.50 a bag over in this area and are not half as good as whole cottonseed but you can buy them in small amounts. If I had the facilities etc. I'd have a load of seed delivered tomorrow.

TexasBred":3rem19xk said:
20% breeder cubes are running $9.50 a bag over in this area and are not half as good as whole cottonseed but you can buy them in small amounts. If I had the facilities etc. I'd have a load of seed delivered tomorrow.
$9.90 a bag at the retail feed store (20% cubes), but if i run over to the feed mill, i lose the savings in gas........

TexasBred":1azop9h4 said:

Hey TB could you explain to me how to figure the difference in the range cubes and the cottonseed meal. Just a idea. I have been reading about feed and cp levels tdn etc etc trying to figure out differences in feed and all to compair different feeds but have a hard time figureing out the energy part. Also i read on one liquid feed where it changed the TDN in per ton of roughage feed. But how it does that is completely lost upon me. Thanks.

Lon

Lon":3f5ej9as said:
Hey TB could you explain to me how to figure the difference in the range cubes and the cottonseed meal. Just a idea. I have been reading about feed and cp levels tdn etc etc trying to figure out differences in feed and all to compair different feeds but have a hard time figureing out the energy part. Also i read on one liquid feed where it changed the TDN in per ton of roughage feed. But how it does that is completely lost upon me. Thanks.

Lon

Lon bet to just google NRC standards for such things as whole cottonseed and other commodities. These are values which are simply "generally accepted". Or you can simply look for the nutrient profile on a specific commodity. I usually use 23% for CP, 23% for crude fat and 23% for crude fiber on the seed....no other commodity and absolutely no "feed in a bag" matches that. When you check the nutrient profile on the various ingredients it should give you a figure for net energy maintenance, net energy production and net energy lactation as well as net metabolizable energy. Whole cottonseed is incredibly high in all of these. When you use energy levels and digestibility to C,F, and Fiber it will give you a much better idea of the true value of what you're getting for that $$$ your spending.

Liquid feed will not really change the TDN of hay/etc. Just adds what TDN the liquid contains to the total intake of the ration. Cattle consuming liquid feed will normally eat poorer quality hay more aggressively and the two together make a fair ration.

Latest posts