Drought options?

Help Support CattleToday:

sterlingbp

Reaction score
Drought is surrounding my area of Texas. Only hay is 2 hours away in several counties at triple of normal price and running out fast. I have bought all I can find and still looking. I have Registered Angus and are not as liquld as commerical cows. I have cows for sale and would like to keep a base of females for the future for I have searched the country to put these together. Does anyone have any ideas (a person called and was fixing to roll up dead Klein grass. Wouldn't ever think I would consider that). Or has anyone have positive or negative experiences shipping out of state and let someone board for the winter. Thanks, Sterlingbp

According to NOAA this drought is the worst in 111 years and expanding! (that includes the dust bowl years of the 30's). NOAA is now predicting no relief through the end of March. Better get ready for next year to be worst than this! Not to be all negative; we're streching our hay with soybean hull pellets. It's 12% protein and we're paying $110 delivered. Good Luck!

sterlingbp":9leizjuk said:
Drought is surrounding my area of Texas. Only hay is 2 hours away in several counties at triple of normal price and running out fast. I have bought all I can find and still looking. I have Registered Angus and are not as liquld as commerical cows. I have cows for sale and would like to keep a base of females for the future for I have searched the country to put these together. Does anyone have any ideas (a person called and was fixing to roll up dead Klein grass. Wouldn't ever think I would consider that). Or has anyone have positive or negative experiences shipping out of state and let someone board for the winter. Thanks, Sterlingbp
There was lots of hay around Wichita Ks. I know it's a long way but I would imagine that is where you need to get it from. They were quoting hay prices @ 40cents per ton per RFV point back in september I think it was. I have a name and phone . If you like pm me and I'll hook you up. 5X6 rolls of alfalfa so you might run into trucking problems but I have heard they relax some of the DOT standards in some locations due to drought.

sterlingbp":2j3q0mi6 said:

Well, this wil not likely be an answer you will like, but it has worked for me before - guess it depends on how many animals you actually own.

Truck the cows to the hay - leave them there and have someone else feed them. Or run a convoy of trucks and pay - pay - pay.

Run the pencil over it as compared to trucking feed - works for folks with more than 50 head - provided you can find the right operator. We did it with far more than that - saved a bundle in trucking fees.

Good luck,

Bez!

sterlingbp":2x80c6il said:
How would a person find a good producer in Okla. or Kan. to winter my registered cows. A trustworthy and knowledgeable person. Thanks, Sterlingbp

Well, it can be done. In fact there are a lot of fine honest cattlemen and women all over this continent.

Most folks I know that have done this simply put out a couple of ads in various cattle papers / ag papers where they figured there might be some additional feed.

There are also the folks that do this for a living - they advertise as such.

We knew ours so it was easy - but one thing I can assure you - you need to check them out - references.

Word of mouth spreads quickly and I have found those who do a poor job are weeded out quickly.

Try a couple of breed associations - they may also be able to help. Pick a State and ask to speak to the major cattle orgs in that State - they will be in the know.

Otherwise pm me and I might be able to help - even if I am one of those danged "foreigners"! But please use me as a last resort - I truly am busier than the average person on this board - although you might not know it from the number of posts I have made over the holydays.

:lol:

Bez!

Good luck, Sterling. Been down that drought road before, and really feel for you.

Hopefully next year you'll end up with such a bumper-crop of hay that you have to build a new hay yard to hold it all, and may your cows be belly deep in green grass.

Hang in there, and take care.

good luck sterling. put it somewhere where the fire cant get to it. had a lot of hay fires this year.. i think it was redneck arsonists though b/c they were all stacked next to the road in each case..

Glad you found some hay, Sterling. If feasible, store it in 5 or 6 groupings with as much separation between groups as possible. Years ago I saw a guy lose several hundred bales all stored together, which was his only stash. Sad situation. Might not be a bad idea to get out there with the disc and create some fairly wide bare ground barriers around your storage areas. Might not help with flying embers, but seemingly could help in other situations.

This fire situation brings to mind another question --- do any of you more substantial ranchers keep fully loaded water trucks handy near your hay yards and/or homes?

Latest posts