Options to dispose of dead cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Frenchie
Did the regulations change any after the ''mad cow''mess? I am amazed that they didn't change the laws here to force a vet check before we could dispose of them.

MWJ

I don,t think that they did in Manitoba. But I may be wrong on that.

I haven,t haven,t had to dispose of any dead cattle in quite awhile, since before B.S.E.

I have been incredibly lucky in that regard, I seldom lose cattle unless they bloat or are still born twins.

I have disposed of dead sheep since B.S.E at the burner or the pit.I do have a 6 ft reinforning wire fence around the pit to keep out predators.I don,t ever want predators to get a taste for beef or lamb.

In our area we are NOT able to let an animal go naturally. It is illegal to "use nature" to dispose of animals as well as burning them. We are required to pay $150.00 to have a tallow truck come get them. Doesn't seem right to me.
If it is injured we put it in the freezer.

What the government dosen't know won't hurt them!

We drag them off and put some old tires on them and burn them. Did I say tires NO I didn't mean tires I mean to say we just burn them.

We also drag 'em out back into a pit and leave them for the buzzards. Which was really strange to me when I moved from Illinois! Up there we had the renderer that would come by and pick them up, free of charge back then. You weren't allowed to bury them.

The days of the renderer picking them up for free has gone the same way as the truck that came by once a week and bought the fat trim from the butcher shop. Now you have to pay for both. Around here they won't even pick up a carass that's over a couple of days old. Is it any wonder that dairys tried to get anything that could even barely walk to the auction?

dun

Ryder, in response to your question regarding 'muskeg'.

Muskeg from TCE Standard (TheCanadianEncyclopedia)

Muskeg [Algonquian, "grassy bog"] is a term describing a type of landscape, environment, vegetation and deposit. It attained widespread use in the 1950s during northward expansion of resource development. Peatland and organic terrain are equivalent terms generally referring to northern landscapes characterized by a wet environment and vegetation (eg, black spruce muskeg) botanically classified as mire (subdivided into bogs and fens).

Muskeg defies precise scientific definition. It may cover large areas (Hudson Bay Lowland) or occur as small, isolated pockets. Muskeg produces PEAT deposits of variable thicknesses and types because of incomplete decomposition of plant matter in the wet, acid environment. The particular vegetation and hydrological patterns allow recognition of different muskeg types by REMOTE SENSING. Most peat and muskeg in Canada is less than 10 000 years old and occurs in areas covered by the last GLACIATION. Peat accumulation rates and the distribution of muskeg are dependent on climate conditions and controlled by CLIMATE CHANGES. In northern regions, muskeg and PERMAFROST are closely associated and can present difficult engineering problems. No comprehensive, Canada-wide survey of muskeg has been made, but various estimates indicate that Canada may have more muskeg (over 1 295 000 km2) than any other country.

Because of its importance to wildlife, WATER resources and the northern environment, muskeg is no longer considered wasteland. When managed properly, organic soils on peat have excellent capability for agriculture and forestry. Peat products have long-established uses in horticulture, and there is renewed interest in peat as an alternate ENERGY source. Peat provides raw materials for the CHEMICAL INDUSTRY (resins, waxes, paints, etc) and can serve as an efficient filter for some HAZARDOUS WASTES.

Below is a link to an illustration of a muskeg.
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/legsregs/ ... afig14.htm

Take care.

Here in NC we cannot put a Hoofed animal, cow , goat or sheep in a render box without a Vet. signing off on it . We can however take it to render on our own . Laws that came into play with the hoof and mouth scare a few yrs. ago

Cattleman for Bush

Like a lot of the others we haul them off to "dead cow park", the back 40 of a pine plantion where we join some paper company land. The yotes & buzzards get most of it, the fire ants get the rest. It doesn't take long!
;-)

I've helped the dairy farmer next door several times.. can't bury them in the ground.. have to compost them above ground.

Kensfarm
They started with composting poultry, then moved to hogs but for the life of me I cant imagine composting a full grown BrownSwiss or holstien :shock: How much ''other'' material does it take? If you had more than one in a short period of time I would think you would have a stink and an upset milk inspector!
MWJ

We use a FEL (Front End Loader) to cover them over w/ soil.. really can't smell it unless you disturb the pile before it's done. They do make a good size mound.. covered w/ a foot or so of dirt. I've read about several different ways to compost cows.. even building a compost type shelter.. but this was his method.. I was just helping him.

any of you call someone to take a sample for bse test/
this is what they sayis the kind they want to test downers, disiesed or dead

Latest posts