Opinions on this mating, please

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a 3 yr old cow from the following dam and sire. I'd like opinions on the visual strengths and weeknesses of these 2(I know, I know, the pics aren't too spectacular). I haven't actually seen the cow yet, but I am getting more info from the owners. They are of Felton's bloodlines which is what I would like to base my heard around. Ok, enough small talk, let the comments fly!! :D

I'll post her EPDs in a little while.

Dam:

FeltonsE70.jpg

Sire:

FeltonsBear926.jpg

id buy the cow out of that dam an site.from the pictures look like the cow was mated right on the money.her sam shows alot of milk.scott

Rustler9":39cgcur5 said:
They both look very good-if the cow from them looks that good I'd go for it. Can you get a picture of the cow you're thinking about buying?

Hopefully the owners will send me a pic with the rest of the info I requested. I'll let you know when/if I get one.

my only issue with either of them is that the cow's udder doesn't look like it has the longevity that she would have. It needs some more attachment and base. But her daughter might not have that problem.

Jake":9aeg7bv7 said:
my only issue with either of them is that the cow's udder doesn't look like it has the longevity that she would have. It needs some more attachment and base. But her daughter might not have that problem.

It would be interesting to know how old the cow is in the picture.

greenwillowherefords":34e2ae4z said:
Jake":34e2ae4z said:

That would be true. I would guess SS at least. Probably 8-9 maybe older. That bag just looks like the typical problem udder with sunburn and getting stepped on and all the other problems that come with pendulums.

greenwillowherefords":3gz0y1k4 said:
Jake":3gz0y1k4 said:

I'm not sure how old the dam was when they took the picture, but she is 11 right now and has been used the last year and a half as a flush cow for La Grand. Up to that point, she had a 12 month calving interval. She now has 3 daughters and 7 sons working in various herds around the country. 2 of the sons are AI sires that can be found in the Reed enterprises book. One of the AI sires is a full brother to the cow I am looking at.

I would have to agree that she looks to be at least 7 in the pic. If that is correct, I kind of like the way her udder looks. It is pretty big, but it is even and looks to be attached very well. I also like her depth and the fact that, judging by epd's and ultrasound info I've seen on her offspring, she seems to pass along a rather large REA! Matter of fact, she seems to pass on her maternal traits pretty well also.

certherfbeef":2wyoi4jp said:
James,
Is that Felton's Bear?

Yep, that's him. I don't particularly like his maternal traits that much, but I think the dam in the pictures above makes up for it.

Hey Cert, What happened to your avatar?

i just looked at the cow again.looked her bagg over good.an from what i see it appears tobe well attached.i still say she is a heavy milking cow.how old is her daughter that your wanting to buy.scott

bigbull338":2uxg3vfx said:
i just looked at the cow again.looked her bagg over good.an from what i see it appears tobe well attached.i still say she is a heavy milking cow.how old is her daughter that your wanting to buy.scott

The cow I'm looking at is a 3 yr old.

El_Putzo":323vujcq said:
Yep, that's him. I don't particularly like his maternal traits that much, but I think the dam in the pictures above makes up for it.
I don't like him real well either. There are other, better choices for the Felton's genetics IMO. But that is also a tainted opinion because I'm not fond of the Felton's line.

El_Putzo":323vujcq said:
Hey Cert, What happened to your avatar?
That is a good question. I didn't remove it, and it is still in photobucket. :?: :?: :?:

Maybe it is just time for a new one. :)

well if it was me and i wanted her.i would get her if you can come to a price.all cows an bulls have something we dont like.but we can breed them to correct it in some cases.scott

Latest posts